Energy labels for cars

Gaunty

I really don't like the way it's going.

I have a guzzler but I go to work on a bus and a train and don't do many miles on the road.

I'm sure my driving produces less polution than, as an example, someone doing 25k miles in a 1.8 Mondeo.

If they want to tax people and discourage wasting fuel then simply have the tax on the fuel (as we have to a huge degree). I don't see why my car has to pay more road tax than a smaller engined one. With this new system, it appears to simply be a way of classifying cars so that in the next few years they'll be able to discriminate against each class.

p.s. Isn't it strange that the range only goes to F. How can a 1.6 A4 be in the same grooup as a 6.2 Lambo?

[ QUOTE ]

p.s. Isn't it strange that the range only goes to F. How can a 1.6 A4 be in the same grooup as a 6.2 Lambo?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. The lambo will spend most of its life doing 10 mph posing round kensington, whereas the the 1.6 Audi will spend most of its time doing 8000rpm, because its sooooo underpowered

The limit for F seemed laughably low. Something like 170?

Most of us on here will have figures starting with a 2!

Strange that they'd set up a system where around 1/3 - 1/4 are in the worst and hardly any are in the top 2. I've heard of future proofing but this takes the p1ss.

[ QUOTE ]

I really don't like the way it's going.

[/ QUOTE ]

Another attempt to demonise the motor car, so that you can't complain about the amount of tax they charge you for having one without making yourself a social paraiah. Of course, all that tax they raise from car owners helps the ecology a lot: the hole in the ozone layer gets smaller and global warming slows down once the government have more income to prop up the growing welfare state, you see.

I quite often see double-decker buses trundling down the road with perahps half a dozen passengers on, spewing out soot and struggling up hills. I wonder how much extra fuel they burn hauling themselves around almost empty, and how much pollution they cause doing so? The car isn't as bad a culprit as it's made out to be, if all cars were electric tomorrow, CO2 emissions would likely go up because of the inefficiency of the electrical generation and distribution system.