Building own webcam server

Colin M

As I spend a fair bit of time away in exotic places I wanted to set up two webcam servers. One at home so I could have a look over my place while I was away (recording would be great) and then one on my laptop so I could let my friends know what was going on without having to log into MSN (which doesn't do conference webcam in any case).

I found some open source stuff here but it suggests opening port 8080. Is this safe? Once logged in to a local broadband connection I assume the IP address doesn't change so all I need to do it point people to say a link on my website where I can amend the local IP as needed.

Would it be better to FTP the images to my own webspace every minute or so instead?

Any tips appreciated.

Colin, port 8080 is a commonly used port for web based applications like these and Java based application servers like Tomcat and a lot of corporations have this open. Just port forward this to your PC, or if the web application uses a HTTP server plugin, use the free Apache web server and redirect requests for this to port 8080 internally instead.

maybe a suggestion is to use a service like dyndns.org (I know your router supports this) in case your IP address does change.

your IP wont change if your logged in via a router as its always on.

But if you have a power cut, or more commonly get booted off, then when your router reconnects , it will be to a different IP address.

This assusmes that you have a dynamic IP not a static one which is usually an extra cost these days.

I was quite impressed with Satan's set up when he was here.

Linky

seems to be what you want.

I use WebcamXP as my server. My webcam points out my front window most of the time, and came in useful last week when some pikeys drove up in a van and stole the plants/plantpots from outside my house! The police were impressed with the quality, got the van reg as well. So a £15 cam worthwhile I think!

have you looked at the Axis range of cameras? They cost a bit more, but they have a webserver built in. Quality is good too.

Your IP with broadband and a router probably won't change, I've had the same one for about 3 years. However, if it sdoes, and your webcam goes off air, you might think you've been burgled and they've nicked all your kit!

Static IP is a couple of quid a month usually and worth having for this type of app.