Not one vintage VW is better than the R32!!!!

Woppum

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think you will find that many of the owners of the 1 million plus beetles might disagree with you, they might not be better in any performance terms but people do love them, i think the R32 will just be another performance Golf and give it a few years it will be in max wrist or fast hand and not much more than that.

I uderstand what you are all saying (except the butt boys).

When i said better i just meant:

- faster

- nicer looking

- comfortable

- sportier

- sounding

- etc.

I understand the old GTI is an icon but Clarkson was not really right to comapare the two in the first place becasue they are so differant, like the new and old mini. dung.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I understand the old GTI is an icon but Clarkson was not really right to comapare the two in the first place becasue they are so differant, like the new and old mini. dung.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a good point - there is no point in comparing a 25 year old car with a new one - chalk and cheese really. It does play to people's desire for nostalgia though, which is probably why he does it.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Hey wait a second here. I have a 1970 VW Bug with a modified engine that makes about 180 HP. that gives me a car that goes 14 seconds in the 1/4 mile. smile.gif It hauls ass! Faster than most R32s and WAYYYYY cheaper. I have also driven it at about 130mph! its got bilstein shocks and dropped front spindels. Lots of other mods too smile.gif

2387ccs (2.4l) 4cyl. Aircooled. MSD ignition. Forged Rods and Pistons, race cam, race autocraft 1.4 roller rockers.. all top notch stuff smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

What more is there to say.

J. Clarkson says that the R32 is not an icon like the 25 year old GTI. Is he right?

[/ QUOTE ]

course he is - you are missing the point and getting over-emotional coz you have an R32

JC is not comparing these cars as purchase alternatives but is comparing their significance to motoring history

an R32 is just another hot hatch and will be just another "good car of its time" in a few years, much like the Focus RS or an S3. The original Golf GTI has iconic status like the first Mini, RR, Audi quattro, Beetle etc

[ QUOTE ]

I have to say that i was pissed when i first posted this strange statment.

But to be fair, what ould you prefure an imaculate corrado vr6 or a golf r32 smashfreakB.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd probably pick the Corrado (if they made those today) handling was absolutely sublime apparently for front-wheel-drive, as was the performance.

er guys - why compare a £25k current car with an £8k second hand purchase

seems a bit pointless - the R32 will be better in almost every regard except outright feel (performance would be fairly similar) as would be expected with 10 years extra development and triple the budget smashfreakB.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I'd probably pick the Corrado (if they made those today)

[/ QUOTE ]

As I was saying, IF they were made today or a suitable equivalent I'd probably pick it over an R32. Not trying to stir but the reviews I've read and the ones I've had a go in were much more memorable than the drive in the R32.

• 1 month later...

[ QUOTE ]

What more is there to say.

J. Clarkson says that the R32 is not an icon like the 25 year old GTI. Is he right? dung.gifdung.gifdung.gifdung.gifdung.gifdung.gifdung.gifdung.gifdung.gifdung.gifdung.gifdung.gifdung.gifdung.gifdung.gifdung.gifdung.gifdung.gifdung.gifdung.gifha.gifha.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

he is right, an R32 it's a big modern Golf, with big wheels and big engine.

The first GTi mk1, was an Icon, the birth of the GTi.

I had 2 of them in my young years.

You can't beat an old Mk1 GTi, look and performances are still excellent even today...