Passat Coolent loss?

njc021073

My 2001 130 TDI Passat has been loosing small amounts of coolant lately. It looses around 0.5 L over 2000 miles, but VW can not find any leak, and pressure tested the system for 2 hours with no loss of pressure.

I don't think the head gaskett has gone, as there are no other symptoms.

The only other strange thing is that sometimes when warming up first thing, the temp gauge goes normally to 90 degrees, then just as it reaches this, it rapidly fluctuates up and down a couple of times (between 90 and cold) before establishing at a steady 90. Could this be linked.

I have just been topping up the Coolant with G12 over the last 10,000 miles, but am getting increasingly worried as this should be a sealed system. There are no signs of leaking anywhere under the bonnet?????

Hi,

This wont be any help, but i will put it anyway !!!!

I have a 2001 Passat 130TDI, it lost the entire expansion tank in about 5 days for no reason at all. No leaks and i assumed the head gasket was going.

Since then it has done over 20k, usually needing no toping up. But sometimes as lately happened.... its needed some adding.

I cant work out whats happening, it lost all the tank full for no reason! Very strange.... but on the plus side... i love the car and it seems to drive good with plenty of acceleration.

I wondered if there was a valve of some description that might in certain instances release some coolant (ie when over pressured (but i cant see it really)), i am sure some one here will comment if there is.

THERE.... told you it wouldn't help grin.gif

will do, i was certain mine was buggered.... but all has seemed ok since... I guess the VW blokes right. I never get the erratic temp guage though, mine goes smoothly upto 90 and stays there.

Just see how it goes, i dont get any signs that the head gasket is going. Somtimes it uses quiet a bit of coolant... sometimes none... Wierd.. ehh

You post something if you get any info plz.

Thanks

RobK

• 1 month later...

[ QUOTE ]

My 2001 130 TDI Passat has been loosing small amounts of coolant lately. It looses around 0.5 L over 2000 miles, but VW can not find any leak, and pressure tested the system for 2 hours with no loss of pressure.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have checked few cars for the same problem at work and only one had a fault i could find and that was a faulty pressure cap. The other cars i could not fault. All the cars are post 2000> and are passats, beetles and golfs if any one know what the problem is i would like to know bowdown.gif

• 6 months later...

My 1998 has a coolant loss problem . I can see where it's leaking though. On the header tank , at the bottom left hand side (back) there is a pipe with no hose attached and it drips from there.Would it be safe to block this off? or try K-seal?.

Thanks

• 4 years later...
My 1998 has a coolant loss problem . I can see where it's leaking though. On the header tank , at the bottom left hand side (back) there is a pipe with no hose attached and it drips from there.Would it be safe to block this off? or try K-seal?.

Thanks

Hi, did you get this problem sorted if so what was the cause and how did you fix it. The same thing is happening to my passat i have also notice the turbo is making wooing noise, did you try K seal what happened?

DEan

Just a wee bit of info.....make sure your cooling system is not under extreme pressure when hot as i use to own a Passat 130 with similar problems.Mine had the earlier type fuel cooler mounted below drivers headlamp.There is a cooling system pump there that circulates coolant at a certain temperature approx 70 degrees Celsius. This was faulty.Mine was pressurizing due to the combustion gasses entering the cooling system causing the coolant to leak via expansion cap.Other tell tale signs a black soot in your expansion tank.This is why some of you are experiencing these symptoms and blowing expansion tanks and using coolant. I changed my head gasket and coolant circulation pump not sure on the designation ill let you know hope this helps. Oh and K seal or any other type of sealer is strongly not recommended either the reason why its leaking out the back of expansion tank is due to EXCESSIVE PRESSURE IN THE SYSTEM.............combustion gasses......i rest my case

Edited by TIDYDUBS