306 GTI-6 - Looking to buy

Thorburn

I'm looking to replace my car, a 1994 Ford Fiesta Si, in June when I finish university for the year and am planning on looking at Ford Puma's and the 306 GTI-6.

Before then however there are a few questions I was hoping people could help me out with.

1) My budget is £3000, with the possibility of stretching to £4000 if need be, is it possible to find a good early example for this kind of money?

2) What is the exhaust noise like? My current Fiesta has a Janspeed exhaust fitted as I needed a replacement and Ford don't make the OEM system anymore and it annoys the hell out of me on the motorway or around town

3) Anything in particular to look out for on cars? I'm guessing crash damage is gonna be a big one and I've heard about cam belts snapping, anything else major?

GTI-6 is a very good choice of hot hatch.The exhaust is raspy rather than annoying and is certainly not a problem when sitting on the motorway.

The engine is an advancement(2 litre) of the MI16 engine used in the BX16v which I can vouch for,having owned a few of those cars.They don't(shouldn't)give problems and are good for 150k.After that,the bottom end can give problems but as the Pug is that much newer I would think that the mileage would be 100k or less,so not a worry.Excellent low down torque(for a 16v unit),very revvy and mated to a six speed box a refined cruiser.Don't need to mention the cars handling really as one thing the French do best is make cars go round corners!

Build is O.K,but the interiors seem to be a bit flimsy.Just make sure that the electric bits all work as French wiring can be a nightmare(they have a habit of using the same coloured wires for everything).

I have noticed the prices getting reasonable lately so their should be a bargain out there for you.I saw a 99T in that Bronze colour in mint condition,one owner and 92k on the clock for £3200 recently,so I would think you could get an R plate for a similar price with maybe less miles.

Good luck!!! 169144-ok.gif

If car has done over 80k then check to see if cam belt has been changed, if not then be wary of it. This is the std mileage for the 2.0 16v engine for it to be changed and if it had a dodgy one to start with it would have gone about 40k miles.

Used to have one (in Blaze Yellow Gold) and was a top car to drive. Hope you find one!

Cheers

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Should be able to pick up a minter for 3500 to 4000, watch water pumps and cambelts, I have a habit of doing mine every 20,000 miles, I know its a bit anal, but its the water pump that fails and snaps the belt. Also look out for drivers side front coil spring, they have a habit of snapping.