130 Tdi Fuel Consumption

guyholmes

Just come back from a long weekend out with the caravan- went to Skipton and the surrounding areas pulling the 17ft caravan i averaged around 36/38mpg. this is on the minor roads ( no motorway driving at all )- still impressed practically 5th gear all the way and such a comfortable drive. My family really enjoyed the drive, i have a special needs daughter (11) and she can really complain if the drive is uncomfortable - she slept all the way - my kind of car - a peaceful journey!!!!!!!!

Gary

After 18 months (and 32,000 miles) of ownership on my Passat Sport, I'm swapping for a Golf GT TDi with the same 130 engine.

Over the time I've had the passat, I've gone from averaging 44mpg when I first picked it up to averaging 48.5mpg at the moment on the "long term" readout on the display.

The mileage has varied from motorway travel (probably about 50%) to twisty mountain roads in north wales (about 500 of the miles smirk.gif).

I've had 57mpg on some trips, but that's driving like a great-grandad cool.gif

The only validation I've done on the mpg is to ensure that I get more than 10 miles to the litre when I fill up (45.5mpg = 10 miles /litre I think).

I'm hoping to get slightly more out of the Golf, but I'll probably find my right foot just gets heavier 169144-ok.gif

Cheers

Ben

• 4 weeks later...

I can get 55+ from my Passat 115 PD too but a year ago after a main dealer service it went horribly wrong and would only do 40 MPG max. All they had done is change the oil and an MOT. Looked through the receipt and found it annotated 'Magnatec' instead of PD oil. Main dealer denied that the mechanic had put the wrong oil in it but after I got my friend in a local garage to do the oil again with the correct PD oil it magically sorted itself out. Strange huh? VW main dealers are all rubbish, unless you work there!

• 11 months later...

I have a Golf TDI 130 Estate and prior to having the Cambelt changed at 60k (by independent garage) I was getting low to mid 50s mpg on average and by setting the cruise control at 70 in 6th I could (with a tail wind?) get up to 60mpg. Since the cambelt change 4000 miles ago I do not seem to average more than about 45mpg and when trying hard I managed to get 53mpg. Is this typical? Will it sort itself out, or should I get the car checked over again. Could it be that my car needs oil and filter change (due in 500 miles - yes not in sync with the 10000 mile service interval)

Hi,

Does that swan neck type tow ok?? I had one on a previous Passat and the caravan was never stable above 60mph. I know what the speed limits are! Before anyone tells me them, but every normal type towbar i have had on Passats have felt safe cruising at ECLIPSe.gif 70mph, with the occasional blast to 80mph blush.gif (This is with a stabaliser and crash hat on sekret.gif!!)

• 2 months later...

I have a Westfalia detachable towbar on my 52 Passat Estate which seeing how easily it attaches and detatches had reservations about it originally but it has been fine. I use it for boat, a trailer and a super light caravan of 1983 vintage. (yes it really is! 14ft, 5 berth Monolight Transcontinental that was way ahead of its time. No need for any stabilisers with its front and rear spoilers and Monolight's own alloy chassis sitting lower than any other caravan I've seen. Faster you go the greater the downforce on the road. Never had the tail wagging the dog experience. Pity they went bust selling direct and too cheap!)

All this and no cutting of the rear valance. Only problems are if you lose the towbar key you have to phone Eire or Holland for replacement. Rang both agents as I was desperate to collect a new Ifor Williams trailer.

Eire sent a key free of charge, Holland charged about 15 euro's but included a tin of MINTS with the Westfalia logo!! Highly recommended with fitting and removal in seconds.

Is the one illustrated above on the Passat saloon a bent tube or solid round bar? The Westfalia detachable is a forged item and appears very rigid.

My swan neck type was on a 110bhp Passat, it towed terrible. It was as if the towbar was off centre and the caravan was constantly twitching.

Every other towbar has been the big ugly type, but they tow straight.

I am guessing i was blaming the swan neck and it was probably some other reason, although it was a dealer fitted unit. Maybe that was the problem grin.gif