REVIEW : TomTom Go 700

a4tdi130

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just a quick question on it's functionality. With the additional POI software for speed cameras do you get warnings or are they just POIs like garages and hotels? Am I going to get warned if I am a little over the limit with a camera approaching or do I have to watch the screen constantly? confused.gif

The 700 Can give you audible warnnings of up cominng pio's

You can even choose how far away you want the warning e.g. 300yrds. You can also asign different audable warnings for diferent pios, e.g. speed camera 60mph would have a diferent warning to speed camer 30 mph. www.pocketgps.co.uk has a set of speach warnings you can upload on to the tomtom for just that.

scoobs

I got my 700 yesterday smile.gif its fantastic, quick to set up, easy to install, and so quick whilst driving. The voices are clear and very good simple instructions. I want say thanks to XC90 for his great review it really helped pal 169144-ok.gif

But the best bit is even my technophobe girl friend can program it!! which has to be good smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Does that discrete mounting bracket of XC's come in the box and how loud/clear are the vocal directions when on the move - my exhaust isn't the quietest?

[/ QUOTE ]

The directions are of a good volume but I don't know how to measure it, it's not ear shattering, but it's not quiet - it's fine in my car but no idea if it'll be adequate for you.

The "discrete mounting bracket" was the work of some screwdrivering and sawing - it doesn't come like that. The one negative I have on the TomTom is the standard mounting bracket, it's HUGE.

The mounting kit that you say is "available soon" has been out for ages, I took delivery of it about a month before my TomTom arrived. One of the brackets that you get is the same as the one listed as the "alternative bracket". The problem is that they all still need you to first mount the TomTom on the big "blob" before subsequently mounting on to one of the other brackets, they don't replace what you already get. Amazingly, NONE of the brackets in the multi kit are designed to mount on to a horizontal surface - they are for mounting on to air vents, or a vertical sticky location, etc. All I wanted to do was plonk the damn thing on my dashboard, and to do this I had to attack the original "blob" bracket.

Have been considering buying a Go 700 and have found the info really useful. A couple of questions that I don't have answers for:

Firstly can the bluetooth function be turned off so that you can choose between using the handsfree function of the 700 or a bluetooth earpiece (for your passengers peace and quiet!)

and secondly I have read that TomTom will be releasing a sirf III based system towards the end of the year - would this be worth waiting for instead. I also have read that with the new kit they will be using a different maps source provider (presumably better??)

Any thoughts/comments? Thanks

On Pocket GPS look for the speed camera database and a piece of software called POIedit. It pulls all of the POI data down from PocketGPS ready to put onto your Tomtom / Navman etc.

They update the camearas farily regularly, and if you see a camera that isn't on the DB then mail them and it will be added for all, though I must say this rarely happens anymore just about everything is covered including mobile camera sites. 169144-ok.gif