Drivetrain - ‘High performance driving course’

Hopsta

My day out with BigJon (8am start)

Started off with a quick car check only to find one of my new tyres that was fitted the night before to be inflated to over 40psi !! (nice one). First thing was with me driving out into the country with numerous roundabouts (no it wasn’t in Milton Keynes) with Jon taking notes (more on that later) and then he has a go, giving me a full and complete commentary on driving and hazards spotting things that I never even saw (quite a scary thought) and describing what he’s doing all the time hardly stopping to take a breath. We then stopped off for a cuppa and then go through some theory work on bends and speeds, makes the old grey matter work a bit at that time of the morning.

We head off again with me driving this time going through some practical on bends and observation, seems quite scary at the start with the different style of driving but was quite surprised at how much better the car was handling. The car never appeared to roll like it would normally and just stuck to the road, went along copious amounts of roads getting me to change my observation to the correct place including overtaking points and gearing. Never really given it much before about the amount of gear changes I did, when decelerating and usually left braking a lot later than I was on todays runs. We stop again for some more theory and a cuppa, still working on bends stopping distances.

Out again and carry on working with bends and overtaking… re-iterating the mornings theory and practising more and more on bends, gearings and speed including some overtaking wink.gif

In for some lunch at a nice little hotel where Jon goes through what you’ve covered in the morning and then some of the professional driving qualifications that are available RoSPA (Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents) and IAM (Institute of Advanced Motorists). Some insurance companies will give a discount for obtaining these (sadly Direct line only recognise Pass Plus ?? what’s that)

Back out again still going through overtaking, positioning, speed, acceleration, gearing, braking and more! By this time I was tiring a little and my actions were getting a little sloppy, could tell by the the fact that the car wasn’t handling as well and wasn’t so smooth through the bends. Sounds like a breeze of a day, but believe me its not, fair amount of concentration going on and brain working over load.

Back at base and Jon took me through the day and lets me know his thoughts on my 1st drive of the day with his report how I’ve progressed, I started with a rough score of about 30% !! (oops) but with the second to last drive ending up at approx 65% laugh.gif (woohoo).

All in all a very worth while day for and I’ll most definitely be going back next year when I look at taking my RoSPA exam after some practise laugh.gif

Drivetrain Website

Graham

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

[ QUOTE ]

spooky - just been looking at the drivetrain website as i was thinking of treating myself to a course for xmas and then i see it mentioned on here.

is the high performance course the one to go for ? or is the advanced and defensive course any good ?

[/ QUOTE ]

jusat ring up and book a day out

who cares which one

just tell them you want to go faster

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I've just spent a day with John doing this course and it's absolutely superb. The format of the day was the same as described by Hopsta above. We started at 8am from John's home near Bicester and were on the road all day and finished about 3:30. Throughout the day you are taught to progress swiftly and safely and get the most out of your car. You may think you are a good driver at the start but John will quickly make you re-evaluate that.

Don't worry about upgrades for your car until you've upgraded yourself. 169144-ok.gif

Drivetrain Call John on 01869 345003

So you don't want to declar the start figure then? I think mine was low 60's. I'll have to get in touch with John to see if he still has my result. It was about 4 years ago so I've forgotten. I think 81 at the end but I wouldn't put money on it.

It's probably about time I actually paid him another visit.