Wannabe TVR Owner

l80ous

I realise you lot are probably up the TVR ladder a little bit more than me but I’ve gotta start somewhere I’m only 22 and coming from a Supra twin turbo.

I’m going to get a Cerbera 4.0 or hopefully 4.2, I was wondering if there’s any helpful info you lot can share with me, is their a noticeable difference between the 2 engines and performance?

Is there anything I should look out for when buying one privately?

Comments greatly received.

Cheers

[ QUOTE ]

I realise you lot are probably up the TVR ladder a little bit more than me but I’ve gotta start somewhere I’m only 22 and coming from a Supra twin turbo.

I’m going to get a Cerbera 4.0 or hopefully 4.2, I was wondering if there’s any helpful info you lot can share with me, is their a noticeable difference between the 2 engines and performance?

Is there anything I should look out for when buying one privately?

Comments greatly received.

Cheers

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi,

You are thinking of buying one of the fastest cars on the planet...... 169144-ok.gif but it takes a lot of thought....so here goes....

I run a Sagaris having recently sold our 4.5 Cerbera.

If you want the nitty gritty truth then it may be a bit harsh.....so tighten your seat belt.

You give no idea of your financial circumstances ie whether you will be running the car on a budget.

Cerberas are THE most expensive TVR to run.

Some insurance companies won't touch you with a Cerb at your age unless you can convince them you have experience of driving sports cars.

My first bit of advice is to ring an insurance company and find out the cost of insurance.

My second bit would be to find out where your local TVR Car Club Meeting is...there will be one near you and go along and have a chat with them.

Give the Regional Organiser a ring. They will be happy to speak with you and introduce you to other Cerb owners who, in turn, will be happy to tell you about the three Cerb options.

To keep a Cerb on the road in the best condition (and believe me you don't want to have anything wrong with these missiles!!) most will upkeep them through a TVR dealer.

Servicing for our 4.5 and general running costs were around £3000 a year (not including the liquid gold of course!).

We rarely had anything go wrong with ours with pre emptive servicing.

The 4 litre is the Speed 6 Option. Earlier Speed 6 engines could cause grief. However, some have been as right as ninepence. IMO they are not as fast as the 4.2 or 4.5 and you won't get the glorious sound of the V8 AJP engine which is something I do miss in the Sagaris which runs a Speed 6.

The 4.5 is considered to be the fastest but there are 'tweaks' ...ine chips and induction kits available now to give the Cerb extra bhp !!

We never did that in ours as it was fast enough to quite literally take your breath away.

The one most important thing to remember when buying a Cerb is....Do NOT buy with the heart,.......buy with the head...

It will be sooooo tempting to buy the first one you drive cos it will just blow you away.......but don't do it.

Beware those that are low milage in pristine condition with several owners....not a good sign.

Don't be too concerned about high milage if the car has only had a couple of owners.

We sold ours at 55,000 with only two owners and she was a 'peach' of a Cerb.

I could go on, but really, my best advice is to pop to a local TVRcc Meet, you will find details of your nearest at

http://www.tvr-car-club.co.uk

and get to chat about the cars with the owners.

They will make you welcome. beerchug.gif

I am an RO for the Essex Region........ 169144-ok.gif

Good luck, if you find a 'good 'un' the grin will be a permanent feature, they are amazing TVRs......

Hope you find a beaut. 169144-ok.gif

YP

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...