I hate supermarket petrol...

Mook

Not been able to fill up with Optimax for the past couple of tankfuls, so I had to resort to super unleaded from that well know supermarket that Jamie Oliver does the ads for. "Do something different", or whatever the heck the advertising strapline is.

I don't care about the Nectar points, it's been running like a bag of dung.gif with this stuff. Coughing when it starts. Hesitating around 2K. Not pulling properly.

Lots of horrible thoughts about MAF sensors and stuff, until I filled up with half a tank of Optimax yesterday, used it all and refilled again last night from empty, with a bottle of Millers Octane Plus, for that extra bit of caffeine for the engine.

Now I know my .:R32 is sensitive to fuelling with the extra bhp of the ST4+ conversion, but I never realised it would make that much difference, having been on Optimax for so long now.

So I will be "Doing something different" - I won't be going back there if I can possibly avoid it...

I know some people use supermarket stuff all the time, but has anyone else noticed how much difference it makes?

I totally agree, I used supermarket stuff for a while, their Super Unleaded!!!(only because I got 5p off when spent some dough in store) and found I had to wind the fuelling down to 95ron on my revo to get it to run properly. I haven’t tried the new 99ron from the other supermarket though. Had any experiences???

I've been using supermarket fuel for years now and never had a problem 169144-ok.gif My S3 actually returned worse MPG on BP Ultimate - I'll never use that stuff again. Optimax was best but it's a pain in the butt going the extra distance to buy it. Supermarket fuel all the way for me - especially now that i'm driving a tractor.

maybe your car is just throwing a hissy-fit cos she's not happy about being fed naff food!

Where I live I don't think they know what super is never mind optimax. The nearest I can get optimax is over 100 miles away so my baby has to run on 95ron all the time, unless I'm down south that is.

I suppose that is what happens when you live in the sticks but I also have the pleasure of paying 99.9 for it.

[ QUOTE ]

Had any experiences???

[/ QUOTE ]

I ran a tankful of Tesco 99 super under duress. Seemed OK, but you really need to run two clear tankfuls through the car to get the old stuff out.

It might say 99 on the tin, but it didn't run as well as Optimax.

Good ol' Shell... 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

maybe your car is just throwing a hissy-fit cos she's not happy about being fed naff food!

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a boy Floyd. The Mook Jnrs decided on that one 169144-ok.gif

Maybe it's picked up the ability to swear when it runs on S'burys super unleaded, so it's spending so much time generating expletives that it forgets that the throttle pedal has been pressed.

If you watched the "Jamie Oliver Touring Italy" programme last night (in the most gorgeous looking 1959 VW Split Screen Microbus Deluxe - oh yes, I want my old one back again!) you'll know what I mean about the swearing...

I bet this thing doesn't need Optimax!

575799-jamie-oliver-bus.jpg

post-8816-13791432945_thumb.jpg

No, it's a Type 4 engine from the VW 412 saloon/estate from the mid 70s. 2 litres and it needs the Porsche style fan housing, because the standard bus/bug one won't fit the Type 4 engine block and the Porsche style housing pumps more air over the cylinders and heads.

Oh, I've come over all "air-cooled rules" again. Not done that since I put by 1970 Bug in the garage at home 6 years ago.

Must see if it's still there... ROLLEY~14.GIF