glowing turbo

gazd

after a thrash last night i pulled over cos the car smelt funny, pop'd the bonnet and the exhaust manifold, the turbo and the cat where all glowing cherry red. is this normal or have i got problems with the turbo running too hot? I let it all cool down with the engine running as i didn't want to cook the turbo bearings.

1st turbo car and i normally dont check under the bonnet after a thrash

Years ago when I had my Maestro Turbo,after a good thrashing you could open the bonnet and see it glowing quite nicely.Others have told me the same happens with their Cossies and alike,so I personally don't think it's anything to worry about.

Turbos generate massive temperatures(which is their biggest drawback tbh)and so this glowing of hot metal after a thrash IMO is to be expected.

Hehe don't worry about it. I couldn't BELIEVE the heat the S3 generated from under the bonnet when I first got it. I've seen very red and I think even white hot blush.gif

Measured Exhaust Gas Temperature not long ago....

450 deg C at idle....

and wait for it....

peak of 955 deg C at full beans!!!

EEK2.GIFEEK2.GIFEEK2.GIFbowdown.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Hehe don't worry about it. I couldn't BELIEVE the heat the S3 generated from under the bonnet when I first got it. I've seen very red and I think even white hot blush.gif

Measured Exhaust Gas Temperature not long ago....

450 deg C at idle....

and wait for it....

peak of 955 deg C at full beans!!!

EEK2.GIFEEK2.GIFEEK2.GIFbowdown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You must have been thrashing that, in the two years I had my S3 I don't think it ever got so hot that it changed colour at all, and I'm not a Driving Miss Daisy either!! NONO3.GIF