Web site / shop

simkna

A friend has a small business and want's me to write a website for them. I need to find them a cost effective hosting deal with shopping basket facilities.

Must be easy to set up and use, secure, and cheapish.

Any recommendations? Are get-trolleyed.co.uk any good?

Si.

Ok, well you'll be looking at a couple of hundred for a shopping cart, a hundred or so a year hosting and £15 a domain, but the cheaper you go, the less reliable you'll get.

Hostdime.com have a shopping cart included in their hosting packages, but the space probably is down a couple of times a month.

Might be worth looking at though if there is no budget.

I can do a site but with a shopping system you'll be looking at a couple of grand without knowing the specs, although you can pay monthly.

Ritey is correct. Proper ecommerce systems are not cheap, as they have to be available 24/7.

I work in ecommerce/websites etc and it isn't cheap for a reason.

The cheap option would to be to purchase an eShop from the likes of 1and1, but it's all down to how much customisation, reliability and performance you want, along with the professional appearance that makes customers feel more at ease using you.

For a couple of grand you'd get a basic shop, but the up time and traffic bandwidth is second to none, quality costs is a golden rule with e-commerce. Although being shafted is possible I deal with honesty up front, I wouldn't want to waste anyone's time, especially my own!

• 2 weeks later...

Paypal is good, but with no disrespect to anyone using it, it's not geared up to every online store. It's very basic, keeps being the target of fraud, and has quite high fees when you accept cards.

It suits a lot of shops, but when building sites for clients, I often can't use it, due to how the client creates their products or what level of customisation of the order process they wish to have.