Veyron hammers McLaren F1.....

bazza_g

grin.gif This weeks Autocar has a decent piece on the Bugatti Veyron, some of the stats this car is flashing around are frankly quite insane ! Based on the various figures for the cars the journo wrote an imaginary 'race' between the Macca F1 and the Veyron 169144-ok.gif

At this point the F1 has launched off the mark, the Bugatti is about to take off after giving the F1 a 10 second headstart......

[ QUOTE ]

After 2.46 seconds the Veyron reaches 60mph, and barely a couple of seconds after that it bursts into three figures. But the thing you'll really struggle to get your head round, the statistic you'll be boring your mates with for some years to come is this ; despite setting off 10 seconds after the McLaren - when the F1 is already travelling at 130mph - the Bugatti reaches 200mph at exactly the same time as the F1

[/ QUOTE ] EEK2.GIF

grin.gif I need this car FIREdevil.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

After 2.46 seconds the Veyron reaches 60mph, and barely a couple of seconds after that it bursts into three figures. But the thing you'll really struggle to get your head round, the statistic you'll be boring your mates with for some years to come is this ; despite setting off 10 seconds after the McLaren - when the F1 is already travelling at 130mph - the Bugatti reaches 200mph at exactly the same time as the F1

[/ QUOTE ] EEK2.GIF

grin.gif I need this car FIREdevil.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

My mate called me on Friday to read me that quote..........

We couldn't get our heads around it either confused.gif

BUB shocked.gif

[ QUOTE ]

The thing is...the F1 will do it time and time again.

[/ QUOTE ]

grin.gif yup, it'll lose to the Veyron time and time again tongue.gif

As you said about Lambo - The Bugatti is a VW with a very flash suit so will have gone through 1000000000000 tests. I'm sure VW wouldn't risk releasing the Veyron if they even had a hint it wasn't 110% reliable 169144-ok.gif

Agreed, he F1 is the Daddy. notworthy.gif

Veyron might be faster, but so is a Boing 747, so what? The Veyron will never ever have the single minded pure design to be the ultimate car that the F1 is.

If all you care about is numbers, take the Veyron, however if what matters is simply the ultimate car, take the F1. 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

it might even be the Titanium tool kit....

[/ QUOTE ] jump.gif Or maybe the remote dignostics and suspension adjustments?

Riz 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

grin.gif

I actually think that Ari has it :

[ QUOTE ]

Agreed, he F1 is the Daddy. notworthy.gif

Veyron might be faster, but so is a Boing 747, so what? The Veyron will never ever have the single minded pure design to be the ultimate car that the F1 is.

If all you care about is numbers, take the Veyron, however if what matters is simply the ultimate car, take the F1. 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The F1 was designed buy Gordon Murrey (Murry ?) at a time when ther were uber cars all over the place.

Now does anyone think the XJ220 was ugly - I hope not. I sat in one and it was just something else; it just looked "right" - A little too heavy, but yummy...

But I would still have an F1.

grin.gif Don't get me wrong, I love the F1 and would have one in an instant should my 6 numbers come up. I do have to say I'm glad that the Veyron has been made - it may be completely pointless but its nice to know some car makers are still ready to risk making something so barking 169144-ok.gif

I just feel that the ethos is so different.

Bugatti (VAG Group) set out to make the fastest most powerful car in the world.

Gordon Murray simply set out to make the very best. Naturally aspirated engine for instant response and control, no power steering or brakes, nothing in fact to dilute driver involvement. Absolute minimum weight for ultimate handling, even a central driving position for ultimate no ompromise control and balance.

Nothing has eclipsed the F1 in that objective yet, and the Veyron certainly will not. It'll be faster for sure, but as I say, so is a 747.

The F1 is the very best car in the world. It was conceived and designed with the one, and only that one, objective. They had no ambition for figures, it'd go as fast as it went when finished, end of story.

The Veyron was all about numbers from the very start. Had to be 1,000hp, had to be 250mph. That was promised and delivered. And bloody impressive statistics they are too.

But there is more to cars than numbers...