2001 Passat running hot

kandi

Can anyone help? My 01 Passat 1.8L is overheating periodically while driving in speeds of excess of 60 mph. The car cools down rapidly and may maintain the cool temp (190) for quite some time before acting up again. Today, I got the MIL light on and now does not go off. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Kandi

Another possibility is a malfunctioning coolant temp sender. My one went the other way, showing the engine was cold some of the time. The technician at my local dealer plugged in his vagcom thing and was able to diagnose the problem. This is a fairly common fault on a Passat. The sender was £20, I replaced it myself but I broke a flimsy plastic breather pipe and that cost £30, so the total was more like £50.

Andrew

Are you sure its actually over heating? Just thinking that perhaps its just a duff sensor.

It just seems strange that it overheats at higher speeds. In most cases it would be the opposite.

I know I ran my old 205 GTi with a coolant leak (would lose it all within 10 mins) for several months over the winter and the car only ever over heated when stuck in traffic.

• 2 weeks later...