CV Joint boot split

M8CKN

Had the front drivers side wheel off at the weekend to check the brakes and noticed the CV joint boot was split.

Simple question, it this a relatively simple job for a Saturday morning messer like me or is it best to get it in to a garage?

If it's worth a go myself, anyone know the best way to go about it?

Theres two ways of doing this. You can either get a CV boot kit from any motorfactors which will allow you to cut the old one off and glue a neew one on (It comes in two halves), or you would probably need to get a ballsplitter to separate the joint and then slide the new one on.

The second option is better because you don't run the risk of the glue joint failing and lots of grime getting in.

I think. This used to be how it was done on my 1989 Golf anyhow. I can't imagine its changed that much.

Not that easy...more like all day Saturday crazy.gif

You will need to take the driveshaft out....hold it in vice...remove the CV joint [mallet job ! ]...remove old boot

fit new boot ..clean & refit joint..fill with new moly- greese & fit new metal ties

confused.gifconfused.gif

then refit the driveshaft !!

It's not rocket science, but it does take time (& tools) and it is a mucky job.

good luck

169144-ok.gif

Tools you might not have are 14 or 17mm allen key for the CV Joint bolt (if they have been changed allready they might have 24 or 27MM bolts in).

You will also need crimping plies for the metal cable clamps.

Take the wheel cap off and try and remove the big bolt in the middle, See if you can loosen that.

[ QUOTE ]

If it's worth a go myself, anyone know the best way to go about it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Get a Haynes Manual as you will need to mark up the alignment etc. but it is definitley worth doing yourself as the parts cost very little but the labour will be high as it is a few hours work.

Was years since I last fixed one so can't properly remember the procedure.

• 1 month later...