No turbo'd sixes?

MattR32

Noble. 169144-ok.gif

Saab 9-5 3.0 V6 (assuming you mean the new 9-3 Aero Sportback thingy).

Nissan Skylines (no longer available though?)

Plenty of BMW/Audi/Merc/Jag six cylinder turbo diesels.

Does the Volvo S80 2.9/T6 have a lpt?

You're right, very few out there apart from the diesels.

Here's a lightly different question on sixes - how many cars have a flat (boxer) six cylinder engine? I can only think of three, and two of them are Porsches.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

E46 M3 - Straight 6.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not a boxer though. Or a turbo. crazy.gif

I suppose it is 'flat' in a sense...

[/ QUOTE ]

It's straight, rather than flat. Flat (or Boxer) usually refers to horizontally opposed cylinders like a Suburu or Porsche.

[ QUOTE ]

Plenty of turbo'd four, fives and eight (even 12) cyclinder engines around but a seeeerious lack of new turbo'd 6s.

I can think of the 911 turbo (which is out of production I think) and the new Saab and possibly the 2.7T Audi but that's it.

Any reason any of you know of?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait for the new blown BMW 3.0. Going to be fitted to the 3 and 1 series. It will have almost M3 performance from what I have read.

As for why there aren't more about, there isn't a huge market for big blown sixs and they aren't cheap to make small ones and get the power / economy thats required. Lexus have an AWD IS350 for the US but they are struggling to find a market for it in the UK as there are actually very few cars sold at that level in the UK to make it comercially viable. crazy.gif

Straight 6? hard one. Mercs have just changed to V6 diesels. And have dropped the Straight 6 petrols too.

Vx have dropped their Straight 6 years back to allow FWD for the Vectra,

Volvo's S80 2.9 is a Straight 6 (across the engine bay!!!)

Nissan (Skyline engine) with turbos!

Flat engines: - Porsche, Alfa (of old), Beetle (of old) and Subaru's

There are 2 main reasons why straight six engines are becoming rarer.

First it is very difficult to comply with current crash legislation with a long engine such as a straight six. BMW are the only mass manufacturer to stick with this configuration, and partly get round it by mounting the engine a long way back in the chassis. This has a knock on effect when it comes to packaging and space.

Secondly, by swapping to a V configuration, you can save alot of money on tooling / R&D etc by sharing engine configuration between your V6 and V8 units. Audi and Mercedes do this.