aagr! golf gti lookalike! i want my money back!!

zoomx3

Yet another GTI lookalike - aagr! But, do I want my money back? - No.

I can see that it dilutes the GTI brand but only from the brand it has been until now from Mk1-Mk5. In a way, this addition of the Polo GTI can be seen as even strengthening the brand. Those of us with the Golf version of the GTI have the 'big daddy' and should imo feel secure enough in knowing we have 'the real thing'. I don't feel threatened by the Mk5 R32....Each one of this range of models has something different to offer. Perhaps ownership of a Polo GTI will encourage someone to graduate to its bigger brother just as my next car could be a R32. At least the GTI brand is firmly in the VeeDub stable....Now if another car manufacturer produced something badged "GTI" that would really piss me off! But I still wouldn't want my money back. Just my opinion 169144-ok.gif .

Zoom,

You definitely have the real thing. Whether we like it or not VW were going to 'mass market' the GTi if and once they got the formula right. We can't expect them to be great engineers and great marketers too. Can we?

I guess VW could argue that something like a Polo is in fact closer in essence, though not in name, to the original Mark 1 GTi.

We are going to have few problems here - the Polo is going to sell in really, really small numbers, if at all, and the GTi (golf that is) is going to be pretty exclusive for some time at least.

Cheers,

[ QUOTE ]

Yeah I did notice that - and I didnt realise that any of the systems the VW group used allowed that kind of transmission of power to the rear.

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently (and I paraphrase from some Mags / Journos) that its do do with the 2 generation Haldex, which runs 90% / 10% in normal mode and can transmit up to 100% of power to rear (I know you said 99% but I read 100%).

smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

it's a polo guys !! we drive the icon ! maybe can convince the girlfriend to get one

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing is, the car that created the GTI is about the same size as the Polo is. The golf is now huge in comparison.

Maybe the Polo GTI will be the real spiritual sucessor and be a fantastic handling car. We could all fit in a Golf GTI mk1 so am sure people can still fit in a Polo of the same size.

As for the ICON status.. ZZZ.gif I think you all need a lie down in a dark room. grin.gif