Temperature Gauge

del_piero_3

Hi Guys,

I bought second hand VW Bora 1.9 TDI W Reg (2000) few months back with full dealer history. I haven’t had any problems but last week I noticed something unusual which definitely wasn’t there before.

The temperature gauge on the dashboard rises to 90c within 5-10 minutes and stays there. Even when I turn the engine off and start it again after 30 minutes it rises to about 45c and within few minutes it goes back to 90c. It doesn’t go above this range.

I would appreciate any help. Thanks

Hmmm....the car is running fine. Just that before I never ever saw the temp guage move from zero regardless of me doing 200+ mile journey. Now at night I'll leave my car parked for about 10 hours, and then start it up again in the morning and within 10 minutes its goes up to 90c and I havent even done 5 miles. It never goes above 90c.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

do the cooolant fans kick in and does the vehicle run ok ?

If so everything seem normal !

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope its all ok, always had bad experience with cars frown.gif

How can I check/tell if the coolant fans have kicked in?

[/ QUOTE ]

You'll know when the fans have kicked in because you'll hear them whirring round.

Failing that lift the bonnet and stick your hand on one to see if its spinning. EEK2.GIFsuicide.gifslap.gif

Having the temp gauge not move from zero after a few minutes of running the engine is definitely NOT normal. But having it stay at 90 is normal. Think about it, after about 10 miles of driving in any condition, the coolant will be scalding hot (enough to burn a human hand anyway). If the temp gauge still reads that the coolant is anywhere below room temp, its not possible!

You may have had a loose connection somewhere and somehow it fixed itself.