never felt in love with a car like now

phantom75

This is definitely the right place to ask for totally biassed opinions about the Mk5 GTI. Welcome phantom75! Only you can make that final decision and no-one wants to see you get into any problems over the next 5 years, but if you think you've got a chance then go for it! Life is for living! And although no-one EVER makes any money from buying a car, the Mk5 GTI is likely to be sought after for some time so if it all goes pear-shaped you'll lose some money but not all and you will have had the Mk5 GTI experience. Better to have loved and lost than never loved at all.

Do tell us more....Manual? DSG? Colour? Spec?

Must say the more and more i drive the mk5 the more and more i like it (thats unusual for me with newer cars the shine normally wares off very quick). I think it does everything very well and is a great all rounder. Only gripe is the lack of visability but its no worse than 99.999% of new cars out there and far better than some. Strainge for me not to find a fault that really really starts to grind on me on a newer car.

Are there things that are not 100% yes of cause folding rear seat is not totally flat when folded is one, the steering could be more sharp less turns lock to lock would help, steering feel could be better, more weight to the steering, but nothing that bugs me day in day out or makes me not want to take it out just for a drive. I would goto the extent its the best all round new car that does what i wanted i have driven, had use of or owned in 15 years and thats ALOT of cars.

You can read these forums all day and see praise after praise for the GTI from us owners and soon-to-be owners. So you're in the right place for biassed opinion as already stated.

What you really have to ask yourself is the GTI good enough for you to warrant stretching your finances and are you going to feel the same in 3,4 or 5 years time. It's a big outlay, and at the end of the day it's just a car. I guess I'm putting my sensible cap on and suggesting you really have a think about your head ruling your heart and not the other way around.

If after that you still think it's worth it then go get it. You'll not be disappointed with GTI ownership.

I personally plan to keep my [next] GTI for a long time as it does all I need a car to do.

I forgot to say, if you really are stretching your finances to buy the GTI don't forget to factor in the running costs, insurance and possible changes in circumstances etc.

It took 4 months for me to get my GTI after order, then just 2 weeks after delivery I was made redundant from what I thought was a secure job. You never know what's round the corner, luckily for me a decent pay out and a switch to self employment means my GTI is still here (for now).

Good advice from AndyW imho sit and think about it for a month or maybe 2 and decide don't just rush in on such a huge outlay. It took me 6 months to make my mind up if i should spend so much,

Maybe ask the dealer or if he is unwilling to help phone VW and ask them if you can have a car for 24/48 hours to see if it fits your lifestyle and does what you want don't just fall for the media hype of the car and happy owners afterall all makes and models have there own forums full of happy owners.

As Andy said DON'T let your hart rule your head too much.

[ QUOTE ]

Are there things that are not 100% yes of cause folding rear seat is not totally flat when folded is one,

[/ QUOTE ]

....This is because of mountings for a baby/child seat to full safety standards. I actually asked if I could have my ordered GTI without them but it wasn't possible.

This car does really grow on you! Am glad I'm not the only one who feels like that! It's interesting how well she copes with wind and rain and fog etc - Extremely well 169144-ok.gif Makes you feel very safe but not unaware.

The car covers most if not all bases, useful boot, not too loud, power etc.

Although the isofix mountings may be an issue for some it does have a very handy feature where you can access the boot via the rear armrest useful for long objects !

Had mine for 4 mths and the combination performance / economy, practicality and style is unbeatable as it does most things 90% of the time.

Financially you need to decide if you are the type that hangs on to a car for more than 3 yrs or recycle before that.

Hi mu....No, the back seats defo do not fold absolutely flat. It's something I very specifically looked into before I ordered (reason being to fit large 'n heavy Mackie etc etc). It's only because of the Isofix mountings (which cannot be removed I understand). I'll post a pic later, just so people can see what "folded flat" looks like. It's not a problem....In fact it helps wedging to form a stable tight fit.

[ QUOTE ]

there's a few of us here who should get our car in the next couple of weeks aren't there?

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed there are - and I'm finding the last week or so of the wait the worst!!

Can't seem to do any work - just waiting by the 'phone for 'that' call from the dealer - not good when you are self employed - need to earn some fuel monies!!

mu....Images of back seat folds. They look worse than they are in practice. It's not a Volvo-style platform but it still allows plenty of loading.

BackSeatFold.jpg

BackSeatBoot.jpg

Btw, I now think that the dealer reason of Isofix is a load of bollox! It's clearly the seat upholstery/shape.

I hope this helps but right now after your good news I don't expect you care two figs!!!!

not really - but actually those photos have reassured me and it will be fine. The reason I asked is that in my 206 you can get them to go flat, (by shifting the seat cushion bit) but if you just fold the back down, it never quite lays down properly, and always wants to spring back up. very annoying - and also gives the impression they are going to break at any moment.

can't believe how much stuff you've got in the boot! - isn't that incredibly annoying when you want to throw the car about a little? 169144-ok.gif

I was in a similar position to you month ago when i was considering ordering a MK5 GTI, but i seen the light and ordered a new BMW 1 series!...... iamwithstupid.gif

Only joking, get it ordered and make it snappy, take time over the extras before you order. I was informned i would have plenty of time to change what i had ordered because i was looking at Xmas time before it would be delivered, 3 months from order to delivery. Spoke to the finance company who i am buying the car through (get quiet good rates with this company, some people would recommened against this but mines a company car in a way so i have to), and asked to change the wheels to 18" add the winter pack (worst winter for 10 years coming up!), and possibly have xenon lights, my contact called me back and said, bad news your car will be here before the end of November! beerchug.gif Therefore the order had been frozen in Germany and they wouldn't make any changes. Hard to believe, but then again i'm easily led. 169144-ok.gif

hi sixdegrees, thank you for your feedback, i just paid a deposit for the car smile.gif it is a 2006 GTI silver 5 doors with 18" alloys and full additional options, it was hard deciding between black and silver (although im a phantom) but at the end, i dont want to end up in scratches later on.

thank you guys all of you for this great forum, im now a real GTI fan.