Dealer attitudes

patently

The Mrs currently has an X5, and wants an X3 because it's easier to park. She has a point, I have to admit, and the X5 is getting on so I agreed to get her an X3 despite my views as to its looks.

Now, there is a dealer near where I work, who I have dealt with for 6+ years. There is also a dealer near our new house, who let us down big time in relation to the X5's servicing, but who made up for it after a letter to the dealer principal by sorting out the servicing issue and (kindly) lending me an M5 for the day. So I visited both dealers to discuss an X3; I was open with both that I was speaking to other dealers.

I spoke to the home dealer on Saturday. He refused to make an offer, saying he didn't want to do the other dealer's work for him and that I should get a number from them first. OK, I said, I will talk to them and give you the courtesy of letting you know what they offer. So I met the work dealer yesterday.

They made me a good offer; I asked for time to think and called the home dealer. He wouldn't make a counter-offer but asked what price I was after. So I named one below the work dealer's price. Later, he came back and said I could have the car at that price, so I said that my intention was therefore to drop in on the way home to sign. At that time, I understood that the work dealer's offer was the best they could/would do.

I did however extend the same courtesy to the work dealer, by calling to let them know I intended to take a better offer. After all, I’ve known the guy for years. The salesman confirmed that he couldn't improve his offer, but asked if I would object to being called by the sales manager. Naturally, I agreed. The manager duly called, and after some heartache beat the home dealer's offer by a distinct margin.

So I contacted the home dealer to apologise for being indecisive but to say that the work dealer had just beaten his offer and that whilst I was very grateful for his time and help, I intended to take that one.

He called back, and spent 10 minutes verbally tearing a strip off me. In a raised voice., he accused me of going back on my word, acting deviously (by extending to another dealer the same courtesy I had agreed to extend to him!), and only using him to lever the work dealer (not true). He refused to deal with me ever again, and cancelled a booked test drive in a 5 series (my car is also becoming due). After 10 minutes of his ranting, I told him that I wasn't willing to continue the call and put the phone down.

Now, I drive a hard bargain. How else do I get to be in a position to run three prestige cars. But I have always been scrupulously open and honest in my dealings, and it rankles to be accused of being otherwise. I’ve thought about it, and come to the opinion that the guy is a tosser and can’t cope with losing. But if anyone on TSN thinks that getting competing quotes for a high value product is somehow immoral then please let me know.

The funny thing is, if he had stayed calm and matched the offer, he would have got the deal. The Mrs always wanted to pick up the car locally!

(Apologies for the mild language!)

Dealers forget that they are there to serve the customer sometimes - that somehow their time is valuable and they can pick and choose. I had a similar experience with a salesman at Bournemouth BMW.

We spoke at length about what I was after, and he offered me a test drive in a 330ci outside - 03 330 Sport, facelift, 28k, silver, leather, £24k. It felt shagged. When I said this was the right car but this example was not for me, he started to sulk and rarely returned my calls there after. He wasn't pleased when I pulled up to buy floor mats for the better specced, newer, 11k mile car I paid £3k less for a week later!

You did the right thing; you are out to get the best deal, not protect a salesmans feelings. He needs to offer you better service - you went with the best deal, he has no right to throw a hissy fit!

IMO there is nothing wrong with sourcing the best deal you can - I find it a really challenging and rewarding experience.

Especially when you consider the amount of money that can be saved.

I have to admit that I am guilty of playing dealers off against each other openfire.gif - If that is immoral then I am guilty!

The way I see it is the dealer wants to make the most money off of you anyway - I mean if you have known this guy 6+ years then really he should have given you an unbeatable offer in the first place - but no, he flushed your loyalty down the loo - so the_finger.gif to him.

Personally if he had spoken to me in that way I would have been inclined to go down there and give him a good thrashing! sportifs2.gif

To sum up he is just a loser cry baby with no professionalism- cos if he had remained calm, like you said and matched the other offer, he would have secured a sale.

From my experience I find dealers show me no loyalty or favour - so I show them none either and will continue to ruthlessly play them off against each other grin.gif

Congrats on you new buy "patently"

Now I would have driven down there and asked him to repeat what he had said on the phone, to my face.

I would also complain to BMW UK, people do not complain enough, if someone misrepresented my company like that I would want to know about it.

You have done what I would expect anyone to do when making a large purchase, and to be honest it amazes me when mates come back from buying a new car etc. and they say they didn't like to ask for any discount, the dealers must rub their hands together when people like that walk in!

Patently, what you did was exactly right. You're the customer and you want the best deal you can get. Absolutely nothing wrong in that.

I would be inclined to copy your post pretty much word for word and email it to BMW GB as a strongly felt complaint. That is quite simply outrageous behaviour.

I'd also send it to the dealer principle of his garage and explain that they would have got the sale if his salesman had acted in a professional manner and been prepared to match the deal.

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE!!

Yesterday we received a nice marketing letter from the dealer principal, letting us know of a short term limited offer that they thought we might find interesting. That kind of gave me a prompt to do something ... so I emailed him to explain why we wouldn't be taking them up on the offer.

Well, he phoned back this afternoon and apologised . He also mentioned that he had overheard a conversation a while back in which that salesman had been "tearing a strip off a customer" (his words) and that the matter had been "dealt with" grin.gif at the time. From what we could work out about dates and times, it was the right conversation.

Kind of reassuring. So now they're only on the "very dark grey" list instead of the black list.

I have a tendancy of pressing the record button on my mobile if I feel something is worth keeping for future reference.

I would have recorded it and sent it to BMW GB, who do these people think they are!!!!

As someone has posted before, he should have given you the best deal the first time, would have made me wonder if I would have got a better deal if I had gone elsewhere over the last 6 years.

He seems to be a bad looser and sales person and has no right to do what he did.

Sorry, but sod 'em. They will screw you for every penny they can, and will expect you to do the same. That is their job. As long you are courtious (as you seemed to be), you should expect them to be the same. You should enjoy handing over that amount of money, not begrudge it because the salesman is a plank. Email the HQ too, why not ?

I'm happy now, because the new X3 was taken off the transporter today. Bluewater metallic, grey blue leather interior, dark wood trim, virtually every option on the list*, looks absolutely great! grin.gif

---------------------

*I put auto, leather, satnav & bluetooth on, and then she got tempted. When we got to "steering wheel heating" I kind of gave up arguing ROLLEY~14.GIF

post-6686-137914337215_thumb.jpg