Top Gear - criticism of A4 Avant?

NewNiceMrMe

I've only just spotted this - Top Gear Magazine appears to be having a bit of a pop at the A4 Avant.

In the back of the magazine where it details all the specs of a car there is the bit where they have the "Clarkson says" section for the manufacturer overall.

Below this it has a "Buy" and "Don't be fooled by" line.

To my surprise the "Don't be fooled by" line says "The A4 Avant - it's form over function". Ooooer. Bitchy!

I confess that when I first got the Avant I was surprised at the rear luggage/boot area size. It wasn't as spacious as I seemed to think it would be. Is this what they're getting at?

The assertion is quite obviously that the design aesthetic of the car isn't as funtional as it could be and that the car is more of a looker than a do-er.

Just surprised me a bit and wondered if anyone else had spotted it.

I hadn't seen that but I bet you also hadn't noticed the B6 avant is actually 3mm shorter than the saloon? ROLLEY~14.GIF

Personally, I don't take much notice of Clarkson as I think he only praises those cars/manufacturers who bung him enough money. He has long since lost his air of honesty and Joe Publicness.

I think it's fair to say that, whilst undoubtably practical, the A4 Avant is still a "designer" car like the rest of the range, as opposed to, say, a Volvo V70 Estate which is deliberately form over function (ie it looks boxy, but has acres of space in it).

I don't have a problem with that.

[ QUOTE ]

I hadn't seen that but I bet you also hadn't noticed the B6 avant is actually 3mm shorter than the saloon? ROLLEY~14.GIF

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't know that, you're right! How very strange. confused.gif

I'm not in the slightest bit bothered because the car does what I need it to. I still think it looks good - so I guess I fit the 'fooled by' that they were talking about!

I love mine to bits and it's exactly as I expected and wanted.

I wanted 4 doors (Stilo had 2) and a well sized boot with easy access and straight sides for all my camping/cycling gear. Plus with a sprog on the way, I need something to take a pram, etc.

But I also wanted something sexy and the Avant is, imo.

It's all very well having a boot with more cubic capacity, but if it's all nooks and crannies and shaped such that you can't actually use it, what's the point? confused.gif

If I wanted an estate, I'd have bought a Focus or something - I wanted an Avant! wink.gif

It's like saying a 3dr cab doesn't fit the bill and the 4dr saloon is better! It all depends on what you want. IMO the Avant was never intended to be a simple estate.

ECLIPSe.gif

Couple of things here.

I agree with the form over function statement. The avant is a looker IMO. The only thing I've had in the back so far is my brief case grin.gif

Secondly, I think the B6 avant was 3 mm shorter. I believe the B7 saloon/avant is identical L x W x H (excluding the "form over function" roof rails of course).

Chris

[ QUOTE ]

I love mine to bits and it's exactly as I expected and wanted.

If I wanted an estate, I'd have bought a Focus or something - I wanted an Avant! wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I agree with the form over function statement. The avant is a looker IMO. The only thing I've had in the back so far is my brief case

[/ QUOTE ]

Sponge - You hit the nail right on the head notworthy.gif

Chris - Spot on, the Avant's been to Sainsburys ONCE and I parked in the next county. wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Oh yes Sir the Avant - It's not just a car it's a Lifestyle...............

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on the 3 series Touring is hardly a load lugger , is it?

I love Clarkson but nobody's perfect fekr.gif

BUB 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Easily done coffee.gif

grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Posted any threads in the wrong forum lately? grin.gifwink.gif

Tut, tut, moderators eh... yelrotflmao.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Very predictable wink.gif

Actually I did post a lengthy reply including my experiences of when I had an A4 TDi for a week which I then related to your gripes but I hit the bloody google ad instead of submit and lost it mad.gif

So I took the piss out of you to feel better 169144-ok.gifwink.gif

[ QUOTE ]

The A4 Avant - it's form over function

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes i had read that before and it is not his own saying. wink.gif

I think that is to worn people who are thinking to replace their old 5 series tourers or E-class estates that the likes of 3 series, A4 avants, etc are not the load munchers that they might look or sound like. 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

...I get some looks quite often when I'm caning it - those "feck, that estate car don't half shift... ECLIPSe.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, I hear ya! 123576-assfeck.gif

I'm waiting until I've put a few more miles on before I get a little more agressive with my right foot. But I'm looking forward to it.

When people ask about my new car, quite a few of them are surprised by the quoted performance figures. sekret.gif

I bought my avant because it meant i could put a bike in it (with seats down) the B5 saloon had to have the bike on the back seats, oily chain etc :-(

If audi sold a family sized hatch, i'd have bought that. And no not an A3, i'm a size snob :-)

BTW i had a loan V70 estate for a while and wasn't that impressed by the size of the boot, the area under the load cover was quite shallow.

Chas

[ QUOTE ]

I think that is to worn people who are thinking to replace their old 5 series tourers or E-class estates that the likes of 3 series, A4 avants, etc are not the load munchers that they might look or sound like. 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Quite - which is why those very people should be looking to the A6 Avant anyway, not the A4! ROLLEY~14.GIF

EU legislation unfortunatley. I believe it's not just the exact volume of luggage space they use. They calculate it using polystyrene blocks of say 5 litre capacity (5000 cubic cm e.g. 10cm x 10cm x 50cm).

They then see how many they can cram in and count them - that is how the capacity is worked out 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

EU legislation unfortunatley. I believe it's not just the exact volume of luggage space they use. They calculate it using polystyrene blocks of say 5 litre capacity (5000 cubic cm e.g. 10cm x 10cm x 50cm).

They then see how many they can cram in and count them - that is how the capacity is worked out 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow - what an exciting job......... ROLLEY~14.GIF

'How was your day then dear?............'

'Well, i sustained some terrible polystyrene chaffage, but ii'll live..... whats for dinner?....'

ices_blah.gifgrin.gif169144-ok.gif

Avant shape is perfect for me... in my current A4 Avant Tdi I can carry the occasional pices of furniture grin.gif but far more importantly with the back seat arranged properly I can fit in three long travel mountainbikes bike.thumb.gifbike.thumb.gifbike.thumb.gif and three riders.

In my old S2 Avant I could have the above people and bikes... and chase motorbikes at 135mph FIREdevil.gif

Economy, style, pace and space... that will be the Avant A4 Tdi then. ices_blah.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow - what an exciting job......... ROLLEY~14.GIF

[/ QUOTE ]

But I'm well paid for it wink.gif