Under 40 MPG club

Hopsta

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being new to diesel transport,this inconsistent mpg lark is confusing me a bit.

Last couple of days I've been showing nothing better than 40mpg and more regularly 37-39 with a mixture of driving which secures entry to this club!

Yet at the weekend I got mid 50's on a 10 mile journey up the M1(driving quite hard)and that figure continued when I left the motorway and was driving round town.

I was driving no different then to what I am now.

Are these computers accurate? confused.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I get around 37mpg from the A6 avant, and thought that it may be because it is heavier, however, I have a new 2.0tdi A4 multi today and it was showing 35.4 when I got in and after resetting everything and doing 20 odd miles it is back at around 35mpg. Crusing at 80mph was showing 36mpg which I didn't think was too good, I get 42mpg at 80 in the A6.

I don't know what is going on at the minute, I had a service on Monday and the car came back with everything reset, and since then it is reading 27-28mpg!

Now it has been cold and I have had short bursts down the dual and then sitting in traffic, but it still seems very low.

Have to agree Gizze.

I don't know whether it's something to do with the cold spell but I was averaging 28mpg at slow speeds the other day and thought their was something wrong.

I then drove to Reading on Friday and averaged 57.9mpg,but that was at stupidly low speeds with no jerky throttle openings and never once putting my foot down.

That's no bloody good! smashfreakB.gif

[ QUOTE ]

My MPG's gone down too, prolly down to the heaters etc been on more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point! 169144-ok.gif

I haven't driven locally in the last few days without the blower on,yet on that Reading journey the hot air being propelled through the vent was burning my face off,hence no fan on!

[ QUOTE ]

Yes and the engines are taking longer to reach their optimal working temp. Till then it is drinking fuel to its heart content.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure is true!

I do a five mile round trip each morning and it's not reached normal operating temp by the time I've got back!