Don't rely on Grisoft AVG

danksy

well im using Norton 2005, and regularly use adaware, run scans etc.

running the above, im am 8% into a extended check and ive got 9 virus's and 20 infected files if its to be believed .

only another 92% to check. smashfreakB.gif

What is the preferred Anti-virus these days?

well its not so bad.

90% were files Norton had found and "quarantined"

5% was old system restore files i was aware of, that i couldnt go back to due to past virus

and remaining 5% was programs i had zipped up that were known to contain adaware, but I knew about these and used to disable the adaware anyway.

so above all not the painc it appeared to be.

Just run it and mine is clean.

I use AVG and Spybot and Adaware and all was good. AVG has been at the top for a while and I for one am still going to keep using it.

Did you run a scan before you ran the Kasp ?

Ad-Aware has stopped and deleted a few viruses for me over the past few weeks from things I have downloaded, and as ever Zonealarms keeps the rest of the infections from getting in or out in the first place. 169144-ok.gif

You can clear the infected system restore points by disabling it, restarting the PC, and re-enabling it again to start anew 169144-ok.gif

I use Grisoft's free editon of AVG at home, and behind my Belkin AIW router/firewall I haven't encountered any gremlins as yet *touches wood*

At work we use McAfee, both on our own systems and on client solutions (unless the client already has an alternative AV product). I don't know what the "standard" is at the moment but I hear that Norton's Internet Security software can be a bit difficult with some software, which is why we switched to buying/installing McAfee since about 8 months ago!

I also use AVG and have just checked with Kaspersky and it found 1 virus in 2 objects.

The file that is infected is 'C:\windows\lupdtr.exe'

It does not give me the option of fixing/quarantine etc and scanning using AVG gives the file a clean bill of health.

Any idea what I should do? Can I delete the file?

fekr.gif I think it was more to do with a couple of dodgy things I downloaded from P2P (Shareaza).

I needed a copy of a partnership agreement for some guidance and the bugger had a trojan in it.

I have had to do a full restore of my laptop and desktop pc, but luckily i have a backup image of each only 3 weeks old (backup each month) 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

have had to do a full restore of my laptop and desktop pc, but luckily i have a backup image of each only 3 weeks old (backup each month)

[/ QUOTE ]

Out of interest, which backup program do you use? I'm trying to find a good (and hopefully free smile.gif ) program to perform a regular backup of my laptop on my wirleless LAN. Any good suggestions?

[ QUOTE ]

Out of interest, which backup program do you use? I'm trying to find a good (and hopefully free smile.gif ) program to perform a regular backup of my laptop on my wirleless LAN. Any good suggestions?

[/ QUOTE ]

I use PowerQuest Drive Image, rather than an incremental backup program per se.

I set it going once a month and burn my data files first to a spare hard disk which keeps a history of backups, and secondly to a DVD.

I have a backup of a clean XP Pro install with all the drivers and addtional applications i use on a day to day basis on a DVD.