Now this would be worth buying!!!

helfinger

If you look at the front styling it is very much a Mk5 Golf and those air scoops are very much in the tradition of the Mk4 R32. It has the fierce appearance that surely any R32 needs as the Golf's high-performance flagship. Totally trumps the chunky body styling of Vauxhall and Ford's poor efforts too imo.

011.jpg

Porsche do fast sports cars and do them very well, but the Cayenne ? Strikes me that it was just produced because they know there are people with more money than sense who wanted an MPV but didnt want a "run of the mill" MPV. Surely if you had the money you would buy a "proper" porsche? Anyway as this is a VW forum the thought of a 500bhp Tourag is quite appealing but no doubt the price would be way to restrictive frown.gif

Just to answer tspar but not wishing to push this thread off topic for too long....

I am absolutely certain that I would buy a Cayenne rather than another Porsche. A very close friend of mine has the latest Carrera S and it's superb but it wouldn't suit what I need from a vehicle - I couldn't fit my teenage daughter and her jailbait friends, nor my sound gear of 450w amp etc etc for music gigs. Cayenne too big for my current garage anyway but I like its performance and looks. Cheers 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

See the thing is, if VW designed a built a car like this, then what would the tuners have to do.... nowt!

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe not Six, the Manu's will always be a little more consevative in their tuning, rather than taking things closer to the limit. So it could still leave some potential.

169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

....VW in particular seem to be more conservative and consequently provide good 'headroom' for several aspects of the platform. The GTI Mk5 is said to have more such 'headroom'/potential than the new Mk5 R32 but it's early days.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm, based on the MKIV, the headroom potential of the 3.2V6 is amazing.... ie, 600bhp!!!!

Add in 4WD and the usual array of brakes and suspension upgardes and I'd be hard pushed to see how the GTi could match the potential the R32 has!!

smile.gif

Ah....I can see that my words were ambiguous....I'm not saying that the GTI can match the Mk4 R32 in terms of upgrades but only that the tuners haven't, as far as I know, cracked the Mk5 R32 codes and it's apparently much more difficult than it has been with the GTI ECU. Apologies for misleading you.

Please educate me....Is the engine in the Mk5 R32 identical to the engine in the all-singing dancing Mk4 notworthy.gif R32?

[ QUOTE ]

Ah....I can see that my words were ambiguous....I'm not saying that the GTI can match the Mk4 R32 in terms of upgrades but only that the tuners haven't, as far as I know, cracked the Mk5 R32 codes and it's apparently much more difficult than it has been with the GTI ECU. Apologies for misleading you.

Please educate me....Is the engine in the Mk5 R32 identical to the engine in the all-singing dancing Mk4 notworthy.gif R32?

[/ QUOTE ]

With the GTi and turbos, power is more accessible and cheaper to come by. Its far more tunable than the R32 from that perspective.

The R32 however, does have masses of potential but its cost £££s. You're looking at 1/2 to 3/4 the cost of the car again to get 600bhp!!!

As far as I know its the same engine with a few upgardes / things done to it. The TT sahres the same engine but came with 250ps, and its this version of the engine thats in the new R32.

But £ for £ the GTi is the better car for tuning!!!

[ QUOTE ]

Please educate me....Is the engine in the Mk5 R32 identical to the engine in the all-singing dancing Mk4 R32?

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe it is relatively similar. Originally going to be FSI but don't think that happened. Just changes to few areas resulted in extra 10bhp. Disappointment is mainly due to the increase in weight not being offset by a substantial increase in BHP, especially as we all know the unit is good for a reliable 300bhp.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The mechanicals (metal bits) are identical in the Mk4 R32, Mk5 R32, A3 3.2Q, TT 3.2Q. They have redesigned the air intake system and the car runs different (Euro compliant) cats and a different exhaust.

The reason for the power difference is that the Mk4 R32 originally came with 241PS (237 bhp), but there was an update to the software, which is why you'll hear a lot about the #6463 update, which increased the power to around 250PS, as well as removing some nasty flat spots and hesitation.

HTH

beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]

...especially as we all know the unit is good for a reliable 300bhp.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahem... Cough, cough.

A bit more than that, Danno. 320 bhp with reliability is no problem at all. 370+ as in Helf's supercharged monster should be reliable enough as well. We'll have to watch this space...

coffee.gif