£15000 spent on a new Clio 1.4 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

R32North

Just got a text froma mate asking if it was at all possible to spend £15000 on a new Clio? Sport model I ask, no a 1.4 he says!!!!

I texted back asking if this was a hypothetical question, to which he replied "No!". His GF's pal just bought one and spend enough on upgrades to take it to a whisker under £15000.

After I hauled myself up off the floor (collapsed with shock), we chatted about it, laughed some and he went on to say that his GF has banned him from saying a word to her pal.

I know this girl, and I feel compelled to say something......... at least advise her to mention all the extras when telling her insurance company.

Should I confront her about her madness, or should I let it be. I hate to see someone lose a lot of money, ie depreciation, but at the same time she'll be overjoyed about her new car.

Hmmm, dilemma !!!

169144-ok.gif

Try speccing up a Mini Cooper, £20K is easily done. £15K for a Clio against that is quite believable.

I'm thinking that with manufacturers having to have got so competative on pricing over the last few years, they're clawing it back with options.

I can remember about 5 years ago a basic Audi S3 was £28K! Then all the manufacturers had to get real as people were buying abroad and now cars are cheaper today than 5 years ago. They've got to get it back somewhere I guess...

[ QUOTE ]

Just got a text froma mate asking if it was at all possible to spend £15000 on a new 1.4 Clio?

[/ QUOTE ]

Fear the depreciation. New 2006 shape pre-order or 'new' 55 plate 98-style? Financial suicide if it's the outgoing model. suicide.gif

Ian

This reminds me of someone who used to work for me. He went and bought a brand new Renault Scenic 1.5 DCi thingy? A sort of diesel carrier thingy.

Anyway, he paid over £17,500 for it without a single option and when I looked it turned out to be the full list price. He didn't negotiate or ask for a single penny off the list, and he took a price that was below trade price for his Peugeot 406 Rapier Diesel Saloon in part-exchange.

I did some very basic shopping around online and discovered I could order one, without any negotiating at all, for £15,200 to begin with....

Mugs, absolute mugs. There are more out there than we think - and the car trade must love them! Maybe it's the really really silly ones who buy Renaults!

[ QUOTE ]

Mugs, absolute mugs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. For starters, buying anything 'stock' new from a main dealer is a mistake nowdays with so many supermarkets around: They physically have to undercut the dealers to make money, hence are an excellent starting point. Pre-reg' 1.4 Dynamiques are around 8k, unregistered ones 9k. With a stealer list of £9900 iirc + air-con + met, they certainly saw him coming for him to spend that much.

Ian yelrotflmao.gif

[ QUOTE ]

There was an ad for the new clio in one of the sunday papers and its basic price was 13,600. It was a 1.4 luxe I think. So probably not too hard to add the £1400 to make it to 15K.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was that a MKIV Clio, ie the latest. From what I know she wasn't after the new shape as she like the MKIII.

Anyway, £13,600 for a stock Clio, SE or not, is a lot of moeny for a Clio !!!

[ QUOTE ]

From what I know she wasn't after the new shape as she like the MKIII. Negative equity all the way on the finance as well, cos I know she only had her 7 or 8 year old Clio as deposit, so practically fully financed!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point! 15k purchase on finance but the car will be worth 7~8k after 1 year. Add in the interest and that will no doubt be more like 10k at the end of the term. So thats 10k for just the first years' depreciation alone on an old shape 1400cc Clio!

Ian yelrotflmao.gif

<font color="#666666">PS: What happens if it gets nicked after 1 year? She will be up sh-t creek. Surprised the finance company even allow it. </font>