TomTom/Mobile Phone question

Waylander

I recall readign that TomTom can be installed on mobile phones as an alternative to buying the system.

If i wanted to go down that route, what type of mobile phone would i need and what other kit [eg the TomTom software, obviously!] but a GPS unit as well?? etc etc.

Cheers for the little tutorial/relative cost etc beerchug.gif

Something for you to ponder...

I have to 'GO' all-in-one jobbie and the screen is a lot bigger than a phone. I also have 20/20 ish vision and I find that if I sucker it a bit too far back its not quite as easy to see detail on screen as I'd like to. E.g. current speed, time to destination etc.

Also, when its set back a bit and I'm on the move, pressing buttons on screen - e.g. to make a call or amend a route can be a bit fiddly at times. That's with a great big touch screen - on the phone version I imagine you have smaller buttons to contend with and its very annoying when you hit a wrong button!

Just a little aside 169144-ok.gif

I agree... Touchscreen is a blessing you'll be without on a mobile.

Consider something like the Orange SPV M2000... It's a bit bulky, but it's a fast PDA, Wifi, Bluetooth, Camera, GSM... Will hook up to TomTom/GPS with a nice big display. Mobile mp3 player, media player and web/mail access on a qwerty keyboard.

Personally I hate them and the voice quality isn't anything to rave about, but it's a good all-in-one solution.

p.s. - I'm working on the voice quality, think it's network-side.

Officially, TomTom Mobile can only be bought with their Bluetooth GPS receiver, as a package, for the best part of £200 IIRC. The software cannot be obtained, legally, on it's own.

Between you and me sekret.gif, you can get the software on its own and install it on Windows powered mobile phones, eg. SPV C500 (which I have). But you'll have to figure where/how yourself. wink.gif

I also have the slightly newer C550, but the screen resolution has been increased and TomTom haven't yet released a patch to make it work. There are hacks to work around the issue, but I haven't tried them.

You can pick up BT GPS units off ebay for around £50. I bought mine from a main stream internet retailer for £99.

A friend of mine has a TomTom 500 (I think) and it's a very impressive piece of kit. Very clear, touch screen, connect your mobile phone and use it as hands-free. But I can't get over how much it cost compared to my system.

His is only good for the car, whereas mine can be used anywhere as it's smaller and more portable. The reduced screen size isn't really a problem as I only refer to the disply when the voice prompts are ambiguous.

I can also run several other software packages on my phone, in conjunction with the BT GPS unit.