Temperature gauge

v23

The last two Mondays on the way to work (after a weekend of not driving), my temperature gauge has been fluctuating between 90 (vertical) and, say, 70. Prior to this the needle has always been vertical when up to temperature, with no fluctuation and the rest of the week it's been fine.

On the way home (last week), or after a switch on/off (this morning about half way to work) of the engine, the temperature gauge has sat happily at 90, without moving.

Does anyone have any ideas what might be causing this? And whether it's anything to worry about or expensive. I had heard that the gauges normally just indicate an average temp rather than show realtime what's happening with the engine temp.

2001 TDI 130 Sport.

I think your coolant temperature sender has failed. One of the Passat's usual gremlins. The good news is that it is cheap to fix. I changed the sender on my 2.0 petrol passat myself, the part was about £25. I think a dealer would charge £100 for the part plus labour. See this web site for an idea of the job:

http://www.taligentx.com/passat/maintenance/coolanttempsender/

The engine management and climate control receive info from the coolant temp sender, so it's best to fix it as soon as possible before other symptoms develop.

Andrew

Seriously, £100 for the part? I really am crap at doing stuff like this, and although it looks simple enough I'm pretty sure that I'd make more problems. I take it it's only a five minute job, so labour ain't gonna be too much?

Edit - just checked with my dealer, and they said £26.90 inc VAT for the part. It is a five minute job, but they'd VAG Com it first to check it's not anything else.

>Seriously, £100 for the part?

>

No, I said the part was about £25 as you've just found out.

The tech at my dealer did the VAG-COM scan for free whilst the car was in for something else and suggested that I might want to do the job myself as the part PLUS labour would be about £100. In the 2.0 petrol engine the sender is buried under some air pipes and was quite fiddly to get out - perhaps that's why labour was a bit steep. Either that or he knew that the service manager would inflate the costs...

Andrew

Had this problem on a 1998 1.8 se passat, eventually it got to the point where occasionally the car would take ages to start, even to the point where I thought the battery would go flat before it would fire up. This apparently was all to do with the temp sender telling the car there was a very low ambient temperature, therefore creating the incorrect fuel air mixture needed for the car to fire up. The temp sender was replaced at an independant garage for around £30-£40, and the problem was sorted. 169144-ok.gif

Had a good look today and found them stuck underneath the coolant tank, on the firewall... not very accessible for a DIY job! I think i will leave it until the service and get them to replace it. There are two sensors there, as described, the outer one being the least accessible of the two.