New car with sandpaper paint....

Oivind

I bought a 02 mod black A4. Washed it for the first time this weekend. The car has been polished, but it's not up to my standard tongue.gif The bottom half of the car feels like sandpaper, on my previous A3's I use AG Tar remover every spring, but they were no where near as bad as my A4 when it comes to "sandpaper" paint. What to do? Is there a faster method to get rid of this "sandpaper"?

As Whizzer said, a clay bar is the way to go. When I got my A4 it was three years old, and while the paint was virtually unmarked it looked like it hadn't been properly cleaned and polished for ages. In the centre of the bonnet was a fairly large patch of 'sandpaper' like you describe, and dried-on tar spots all over the lower wings and doors.

I persevered with AG tar remover for literally hours and hours, with only partial success. The bigger, softer tar spots came off but the smaller etched-on ones refused to budge, as did the stuff on the bonnet. SAUER0421.GIF

After reading about clay bars etc. on forums like this, I decided to give it a go and never looked back - the whole car was done in less than a morning. You won't believe the amount of crap the clay pulls off the paint - even where you can't actually see or feel any significant contamination.

I wouldn't start putting any polish or wax on a car now unless it's been thoroughly prepared with a clay bar after washing. 169144-ok.gif