MPG - hopefully better to come...

Sponge

I've just filled up for only the second time since taking ownership of the Avant. I've worked out the mpg and while not being bad, I was hoping for better. However, I'm sure the engine just needs time to loosen up and it can only get better. ECLIPSe.gif

2 weeks of mixed driving, short journeys to work, couple of motorway trips - 38mpg

60 mph motorway trip, Liverpool to Birmingham and back - 48mpg.

[ QUOTE ]

2 weeks of mixed driving, short journeys to work, couple of motorway trips - 38mpg

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not bad you know. I would say 80% of my mileage is journeys less than 10 mile on urban roads, the majority of the rest being no more than 40 mile with some steady dual carriageway in that.

In 2 and a half years and 22,500 mile I have averaged just over 41 mpg and mine is a 1.9 tdi as opposed to your 2.0.

[ QUOTE ]

I've just filled up for only the second time since taking ownership of the Avant. I've worked out the mpg and while not being bad, I was hoping for better. However, I'm sure the engine just needs time to loosen up and it can only get better. ECLIPSe.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Surely those figures are wrong? My Audi 1.8T (163 model) does at worse 33mpg and averages 40mpg. A steady 70mph on the motorway will see 47mpg

Calculated. I don't have DIS.

The mate I was staying with bought an A3 2.0 TDI a couple of months before me and he does considerably more miles. His mpg is getting better and better, according to his DIS. He's done about 2000miles, whereas I have done a mere 750.

It's the only way to do it. I wouldn't trust any fuel computer to give an accurate figure.

38 mpg is about right I think for the kind of journeys you mentioned.

I've said before, I drive like a pensioner most of the time and I've only averaged 41 mpg (calculated over the last 31 months) because of all the short journeys I do.

After I filled up Friday night I was on the motorway within 5 minutes. I put 66 litres in the car.

I was doing 60mph 99% of the time, with a couple of blasts up to 80 mph to overtake wagons. (Another case of one in left lane doing 59mph, one in middle doing 59.5mph smashfreakB.gif) My range gradually rose and was it's highest of 710 miles just before the toll road. Then I hit the roadworks and it started to drop. frown.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In Junes Audi Driver they tested an A6 2.0Tdi for the second time but with over 10000 miles on the clock.

They said economy had improved by 15% to when the car was first tested.

So it looks like the more miles you pile on the better it'll get 169144-ok.gif

BUB

• 4 weeks later...

Sunday just gone I filled up the car in Cannock, straight onto the M6 and then a leisurely 60mph home. Filled up again in Liverpool and soon had the figures in my spreadsheet - calculated 64mpg.

It's good to know I can get it into the 60s when I need to. But boy was it difficult not flooring it at every opportunity. ECLIPSe.gif