Unleaded or SuperUnleaded?

Phil330

My handbook recommends a higher octane fuel than is on offer at the pumps at Tesco (95 RON), however i have a tesco fuelcard which i use through our company account. What would i be gaining through using the higher octane fuel, and are there any disadvantage to my car by not using it?

[ QUOTE ]

My handbook recommends a higher octane fuel than is on offer at the pumps at Tesco (95 RON), however i have a tesco fuelcard which i use through our company account. What would i be gaining through using the higher octane fuel, and are there any disadvantage to my car by not using it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Tescos have started doing a higher octane fuel now... so you should be able to get it there.

Good question! Most perfomance cars recommend 98RON, which only discernable difference is increased perfomance, though the new generation of optimax and ultimate fuels claim to clean, be better for the environment, improve perfomance and much more. However, in the US, the standard fuel is 92RON, and i believe its 95 standard on the continent, so it depends what the engine is designed for, though i cant see that a good 95 octane fuel would do any Damage, but may inhibit perfomance.

Remember modern cars have ECU which are programmed in respect of the recommended RON. So, if you use 95RON where 98RON is recommended your ECU will have to compensate, so a wee loss in performance will be felt.

Also, long term use of the wrong RON fuel may have adverse effects on the engine.

Manufacturers aren't tied to fuel suppliers, so it must be for mechanical reasons that they recomend the higher octane and not financial!

smile.gif169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Good question! Most perfomance cars recommend 98RON, which only discernable difference is increased perfomance, though the new generation of optimax and ultimate fuels claim to clean, be better for the environment, improve perfomance and much more. However, in the US, the standard fuel is 92RON, and i believe its 95 standard on the continent, so it depends what the engine is designed for, though i cant see that a good 95 octane fuel would do any Damage, but may inhibit perfomance.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd always thought that the Americans had lower octane petrol but after reading one of the letters in this month's EVO magazine I'm not so sure.

The writer of the letter says that US octane ratings are computed as the average between the RON and MON, which for our standard 95 RON petrol is about 93, which is what most of their country gets.