New Car - suggestions

frazzle

Hi.

New on here though I've been visiting for a while. Need a new car next year. Needs to be big enough for the family, under 5 years old, and I would like over 200bhp, oh...and for about £7k or under (next year) - asking a lot I know.

confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif

The most important thing is how it goes, the rest I can negotiate with her indoors. I've been thinking along lines of A6, Accord Type R, Saab 9-5 Aero, Subaru Legacy.....any ideas advice?

I thought the saab would be the best bet as it's got 250bhp, well spec'd, and good reliability, but I've noticed that a few on autotrader talk about recon engines etc

Any suggestions?

[ QUOTE ]

Also looking for service intervals of 50,000m, 80mpg, sunroof, soft top and t-bar!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well at least your specific!!

I'd say tho that Saabs are your best bet as they don't hold their vle as well as some of the other brands, so are lil=kely to be within your budget.

Plus Saabs are high milers, so 80,000 on the Clock is not an issue!!!!

169144-ok.gif

Lexus LS400 or Audi A8 plenty of power, class. The A8 will handle the power and corners better though, but the LS 400 will NEVER go wrong.

GS 300 is just plain ugly.

Saab is good, and will all the above cars, mileage is NOT an issue. I sold my A8 with 201K miles and it ran fine. It has now just been re-sold with 214K miles. Still going and looking good.

The Accord at that price will be a very old one, so hmmmm. frown.gif

A pretty, previous gen 7 Series will be a bargain.

A better bargain will be an Alfa 166 (don't dismiss it, they are fine cars and are now much better and you can get one a few yrs old at that price - a steal)

Mileage - schmilage. I never worry about it and actively dislike an used car with low miles.

Big saloons are lovely and cheap. LS400, A8, though I'd look at a 7 series bimmer.

But it depends on what you want - big cruiser power, or proper all round performance. If you can live with the general image (notas bad as the saloon!), £7000 buys an unchavified 99/00 Impreza Turbo 5 door from a Subaru dealer.

A mate has recently bought a Volvo S60 T5 and it's ace quite honestly. Very quick (260 bhp), fantastic sounding 5 pot, loads of room, comfy, very solidly built, safe and cheap. 2001 on a Y with 60k and a full Volvo history for £7,700. You'd find a higher mileage one for £7k I reckon.

Very impressed when I drove it. Goes like something off a shovel, sounds gorgeous and handles surprisingly well. Steering's a bit vague, but not offensively so. Well worth a test drive I reckon.

Cheers

Postie

Thanks for the suggestions. I'd looked at the Alfa 166 but just don't think I could live with the looks - it's the only car i've seen that looks from the font like it might actually burst into tears!

The S60 is very interesting - hadn't thought of that one - and it's the most modern design of the lot. The suggestion I heard today was to remap a Passat pd130 - don't know if anyone has any experience of this, but the questions I would have would be about perfromance - would it match s60 t5/9-5 aero, and would it have any long term impact on reliability etc.

Rossg - I finally took the plunge! Any word on the 225?

Cheers

[ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the suggestions. I'd looked at the Alfa 166 but just don't think I could live with the looks - it's the only car i've seen that looks from the font like it might actually burst into tears!

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate the look of the 166 with that gloopy front end, the face lifted model looks great, but not many people have brought them here and Alfa no longer make it in RHD. frown.gif