Autocar Hot Hatch Mega Test

CarMad

Just had Autocar drop through the door this morning. Not read it properly yet I'm meant to be doing some work. grin.gifsekret.gif

Anyway. It opbviously pitches the new Focus against its rivals. To cut a long story short it wins, Final Quote is "Right now, a Focus ST is th best hot hatch you can buy. It is an inspiration, and we love it".

So its good, but for all you GTI owners its a close thing as they said its a great all rounder and it was tough choosing the final winner. But in the end the handling which is main thing you get a hot hatch for and the engine are better in the Focus. But the GTI is still up there with the best.

As for the Astra VXR the final comment is "Fast but perhaps too furious", it finishes in 3rd place.

Its in the shops now if anyones interested.

169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Cheers mate 169144-ok.gif I already stood and read it in WHSmith's library this morning. I didn't expect the journos to rate the GTI so highly but, like most of us GTI addicts here, I don't really care two fecks what anyone else thinks about my car.

Thanks again 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said!!! I feel the same about the R32. Was raved about when it came out and then it was slagged off a year later by the same journos!!!

I've had mine over two years and it still makes me smile! Its got to be doing something right if thats the case.

No doubt your GTi gives you the same feeling, and thats what counts at the end of the day - feeling good and huge smile!

wink.gif

to be fair, they did say that the GTI and ST were leagues ahead of the rest and that the GTI would be the car they would put their money into... which kind of confused me considering the opening paragraph, "The verdict will be about which car you would put your money into"

That said, Focus ST get my respect, just like the RS before it. But would i have one... no, it's just not me (bit too max power IMO) Prefer my hatches a little more classy. But it's good value and no doubt drives well. I've only ever driven one focus, a 2.0 VVT (or whatever it was) back in 1997. TBH it was a blast!

[ QUOTE ]

....+++ Exactly!! 169144-ok.gif

I notice that your R32 is for sale....As it still makes you smile aren't you going to seriously miss it? And what do you think you'll replace it with, if at all?

[/ QUOTE ]

Only for Sale on here! Not in autotrader or the like (yet).

I need a bigger car like an A4 (I have an 80 TDi Avant) or A6, and really only one car,a s I need to buy a new, bigger house, plus I want to buy some land as well (hobbies).

I was looking at an RS4 (old) or new S4 Avant (18 months old), if not I might got for a tuned 2.5 V6 Tdi Quattro A6 for a year or so and when all is settled with new house I can look at something exciting again, ie R32, S3, etc.

I'll definitely miss the R32 but there is more to life than exciting lumps of metal - needs must and all that!

smile.gif