Exchange DR Without AD - OMG Help!

Beast

Now heres a challenging one - I have to perform a restore of Exch2k without a working copy of the original AD!

Single server SBS 2k Setup - OS has gone bad and wont boot. Restore of Sys state is failing due to bad blocks on the tapes and the end users are screaming for their data.

Does anyone know the process by which I can do a restore to get the Exch up and running enough just to carry out an Exmerge? Is it possible without the original AD?

ANY help or direction would be greatly appreciated.

I have all original log files and file system is intact.

Cheers

Ontrack is the way to go it's not cheap from what I remember. It may be possible to build a domain controller then do a DR install of exchange and copy the databases. Not sure if you could then do an exmerge but you may have trouble with all the orphaned mailboxes.

The other slight issue may be small business server as I am not sure how you go about doing a DR install of the exchange component.

James

The server boots with a Stop BSD Reg error - corruption within system 32\Config.

I have tried to restore this directly from backup. I've also tried a parrallel install and restore of the system state but all to no avail.

In the absence of another DC (coz its Small B@stard Server) and a descent backup - I don't have a working AD. I'll take a look at Ontrack but it sounds mega expensive!

Any other ideas greatly recieved smirk.gif

Sorry Frodo - Actual output is in the office now - will write it up here tomorrow.

Its Blue screening after the Win2k Splash screen. About 7 minutes after its displayed while the blue bar loads across the bottom of the screen.

It reports corruption in the registry file (cant remember exactly as its been a busy few days. Indicates %ssystemroot&\Winnt\System32\Config.

I have tried restoring the directory, Winnt itself and also a full c: drive.

Separately I have tried restoring the system state, a repair (using the CD) and an upgrade.

All these have been done on a Ghosted copy of the C: drive - so without interference from previous attempts of repair\recovery. I.e I have a copy of the partition with the original error unscathed any further from any recovery attempt.

Parallell install works fine. THe error is data corruption.

Friendly BT engineer @ customers site decided he needed more power for his laptop and decided the server could run without the ONLY power lead that was plugged into the server! Hence unexpected power interuption!