Strange noise from my S4 at low-revs

Tizzy

My S4 has been making a strange "grinding" noise recently. The noise lasts only a second or so and is not especially loud (mind you, you don't hear much above my stereo). Typically it happens when you change from first to second (manual car) and accelerate gently, say as you would in a car park. Also it has happened when turning into a tight parking space with plenty of lock on. I had something a bit like this on an Alfa years ago and it turned out to be a front wheel bearing. I also wondered if it might be the steering rack, but doubt it as it most commonly happens in a straight line with no steering lock on.

Any opinions would be appreciated before I go back to the Stealer and have them say "they all do that mate".

It happens hot or cold, but always only at low speeds (or isn't audible at higher speeds). It does always seem to do it - now that I listen for it! I'm getting more and more convinced it's a wheel bearing, and I guess I should stop being lazy & just jack up the car and rotate them to find out!

It's not what I was thinking then? I had a funny noise when parking...like a knocking but that was the worn down pads rattling. Many people do have what appears to be a noise like a bearing going. I sent mine in three times for this and it does seem to be a "normal" thing.