Passat fuel economy.

tiptronic

Hi all,

Im wondering if anybody has ever had bad fuel figures from their Passt.

Ive recently bought a 2004 Tiptronic 1.9tdi 130bhp and have been getting around 24mpg and this is driving like a knob.

To buy this car i sold a manual 2000 1.9tdi 115bhp and had figures around 35mpg no matter how i drove it.In the hand book it says autos are more economical than manuals (very slightly) but why such a drop on a newer car.

Can a Passat be remapped for economy or something or will i have to live with it

Any help gladly invited.

Carl

Carl

I thought that, automatics are always less efficient than manuals. They are supposed to look after the engine more, keeping the right gear at the right time. Not let it get bogged down like i do, driving like an old man ooo.gif.

Do they idle at higher RPM and rev more somehow on gear change? All adds up to wasted fuel

that sounds really wrong..autos are less economical than manuals....and to confirm that something is not right with your car ..... i have a 1.8T Tiptronic and I always average atleast 32-35MPG on the Motorway (although i dont tow anything). so it is conerning that with ur TDI your gettin less MPG than my petrol Turbo Auto!

Also are u carryin weight in the boot? driving with the windows down? climate control running hard? Tyre pressure ok? little things like this make the biggest difference on fuel.

Looking at the VW brochure for 1.9 130 znaika.gif

Tiptronic is very much worse than manual. Your old car's 35 is a low figure for that engine and 24 with your new car ties in with these Tiptronic figures,

6 Speed Manual

Urban 37.7

Extra Urban 58.9

Combined 48.7

5 Speed Tiptronic

Urban 27.7

Extra Urban 50.4

Combined 39.2

Dick

Auto's use more fuel, as they require a torque converter which saps away the power before it's transmitted to the wheels, they do tend to put less strain on your engine, as most autos rarely let you rev to the red line.

I average around 40mpg per tank in my TDI 115 5spd with a tuning box fitted smile.gif

Thanks for your replys,

In my hand book it says (figures in litres)

MG AG

urban cycle 7.5 9.9

extra urban 4.5 5.4

Combined 5.6 7.0

These are the figures that are stated so why is a manual so much more economical?

Its been mentioned about chips and tuning boxes will this improve the economy because the power is all there trouble is i can almost see the qauge moving when i use kick-down,plus when driving in tip i can drive the car like a manual but this doesnt seem to do any difference.

Does anybody out there own a similar car with the same engine and is tiptronic i can compare with before i start thinking of getting shut.

Carl bike.thumb.gif

[ QUOTE ]

so why is a manual so much more economical?

[/ QUOTE ]

Carl,

The torque converter takes 2 pints of every gallon and converts it to heat when it allows the drive to slip. Simple as that.

I sympathise (I was caught with a 3 litre auto Shogun once buttcheeks.gif ) but the bottom line is that autos are hugely wasteful and should really only be bought by invalids on prescription dung.gif

Dick

Cheers Dick,

Now that its explained a bit i understand.

Been out today looking for manuals and things get worse.

The tiptronics that are hard to find in 130 highlines that are worth more than manuals when buying new and will always hold their price have suddenly dropped in price this weekend.

My Passat that i bought 3 months ago has suddenly dropped £2000 when took back to the dealers for trade in. smashfreakB.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I know it sounds like a dumb question and im sure you havn't, but is your fuel computer set to the average trip mpg and not the "real time" mpg setting???

My average in my manual 115 TDi is between 40 - 45 however i drive.

But i need to do a journey of about 15-20 miles before i get a true MPG reading or it'll be low on a shorter journey.

We used to have a TDi Tip estate at work. That used to average 40mpg and the constant mpg would register 40odd MPG at 80/90mph.

Ofcourse around town if you drove it like you stole it you were talking sub 20mpg. laugh.gif If you do mostly urban driving and have a heavy right foot I can well imagine the MPG you are getting.

I presume you have calculated your mpg properly and not just relied on the computer? Mind you my average mpg works out near as dam it the same as the car states.

I actually prefer an auto box on a Passat. Its a big lumbering mule of a car so the auto box suits it better.

The auto box works best with the diesel with its mid range torque and low revving nature.