Headphones advice needed for iPod ......

bazza_g

grin.gif ok, I'm very happy with my Nano but feel that the headphones aren't up to much and am looking to replace them. I'm really not into the proper looking headphones with the big cans and the loop over my head so would prefer some in the ear replacements.

A quick look on the internet has thrown up these three...

etymotic 6i isolator

etymotic er 4 micropro

Shure EC3

shocked.gif The questions is, these are £100, £200 and £100 respectivley for a pair of in-the-ear headphones ! Are they worth the money ????

Or can anyone point me in a better direction ?

169144-ok.gif

Personally, i use Sennheiser MX500 in ear jobbies, they only cost about £20, but i find them better than the ipod version. I believe there are now MX550 been launched recently that are supposedly even better.

Also heard good things about the Sony EX71 in ear jobbies.

Can recommend the Sony 71s much, much better than any other in ear ones I've used before. Bass is terrific - shoots straight into your ear with no filer etc in the way.

Then again I've never tried any that are £100 or more but would they really be worth it on the move and in usually noisy situations - I tend to use mine on trains/tube etc.

The etymotic ear plugs are supposedly the doggies danglies, but they are expensive. I might try them one day when I have some spare cash.

If you are looking for over-ear headphones, then you can't go far wrong with the Sennheiser PX100 for under £30. There is better clarity than the std iPod headphones and a much better bass response (much as you would expect from a bigger source). What Hi-Fi rated them very well too.

I have the MX500s and they are really good for the money. Push them really hard and they struggle a bit with distortion but so do any in ear phones for that kind of money. They also have a volume slider on the wire so you dont have to get your device out to turn the volume down all the time and they come in a great carrying case.

Dont know about the exotic ones I am afraid, I would guess they are much better when pushed hard.

The Sony EX71s get a reasonable writeup but are universally renowned as unreliable and break often. not to say this will happen to anyone but there are too many reports to ignore (see the reviews on amazon.co.uk and the site below). They look very much like the headphones which come with the W800 phone. If so then the fit and feel fantastic, and they block out alot of external noise which is good but they sound quality isnt really up to much if you are in any way demanding - the Sennheisers are in a different league.

See here for some reviews:

http://www.reviewcentre.com/fi118-f1-Bud.html

• 11 months later...

I've got the Ety 6's and they are absolutely stunning. However, your Nano amp isn't that great, so you won't get the full potential. I have a secondary amp plugged into my MP3 player though, which makes the whole rig sound absolutely awesome. You can get them for about £30 from ebay. Just type altiod headphone amp.

Got a pair of the EC3's and they're great for shutting outside noise out and giving a good clean sound. One word of warning don't wear them for really long periods of time. Did this coming back from the US as it cancelled most of the plane noise out. Got back to blighty with some good sleep but a day latter had a ear and throat infetion.

• 2 weeks later...