Maintenance Package Question - Again!!

WhiteHArtMart

Sorry guys - I know this has been asked before but the local dealer has asked me to confirm by the weekend if I want to take this up!

I have been quoted £41 per month for the full package - covering £15,000 miles a year. Can't decide if this is good value or whether I'm better off just paying for the servicing/tyres when needed??

How good value-for-money it is will depend on how you drive and your expected mileage. I think the full package (best imo) works out at about the same as you are likely to spend anyway but it spreads the costs (very useful) and covers the unforeseens. Unless you are on a tight budget (wife, children, mortgage etc etc - Been there , done that, finished with all that), it will feel as if it's all free!

Funnily enough it's usually very much my 'philosophy' as well, but on this occasion I decided to go for the package....The full package being the best option imo. Soooo right when you say "the future is completely unpredictable!"....My whole life story of wondering this planet for 58 years totally proves it!

Enjoy the GTI with or without the Maintenance Package 169144-ok.gif

Isn't the car under waranty? Therefore any unforseen faults are fixed by them.

The benefit of the package only really comes if you're going to put some miles on your car.

If you're worried about the costs coming at once, instead of paying VW £41 a month open up a high interest account. HSBC have one at 8% at the moment if you transfer a set amount in each month. Therefore you've got the money when you service the car plus a nice wad of interest.

£41 a month plus 8% will give you £515 at the end of the year. More than enough to cover everything if you don't rag the crap out of your car and put 15k on the clock.

Saying it costs so much a month/week is a standard way of hiding the overall cost of things. If you sign up for 3 years your giving them nearly £1500, a waste of money IMO.

Tyre cover is good - but I think I read somewhere that they are not necessarily covered against punctures - just general mileage wear and tear!

I'm going to pass in it and worry about the bills as they come in! Now - off to drive the beast again - 350 miles and counting - should be run in within my first week of ownership!

[ QUOTE ]

Cheers for the comments guys.

Being self employed, my income flucuates so I think I'll leave the package and just put some money aside when I have a bit of spare cash!

[/ QUOTE ]

If you changed your mind the start date of a maintenance plan can be flexible - you can apply for a plan at any time up to the first 10,000 miles. However the vehicle must not be more than one year old.

[ QUOTE ]

£41 a month plus 8% will give you £515 at the end of the year. More than enough to cover everything if you don't rag the crap out of your car and put 15k on the clock.

Saying it costs so much a month/week is a standard way of hiding the overall cost of things. If you sign up for 3 years your giving them nearly £1500, a waste of money IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bit of a close thing...

Say servicing costs over 3 years (45,000 miles) including brake fluid change at 2 years, costs depending on where you live... say about £800.

At least one set of tyres say £600.

Two/three wiper blade sets at approx £30 for the three blades. ..£90

Two extra years VW breakdown assistance at say £50 per year at least ...£100.

Total £1590.

The clincher may be that you also get maintenance cover for the 3 years (45,000 miles) covering wear & tear items such as discs , pads , hoses , battery , drive belts , clutch & flywheel , bearings etc. etc.

Tyres also include balancing , wheel alignment & steering geometry.

This also assumes servicing costs & all the other costs stay

at todays rates for the next three years... unlikely ?

Could be a better deal for some.