How much should I ask

silentandy

I'm shortly going to be selling my GTI privately. Since this is the first time I've ever sold a car this way I'm not sure what to expect or how much to ask.

It's 5 months old with a list price of £23,700. The highest trade-in value I've been given was £20.5k for Jan/Feb next year, but the average was £20k. Since I'm not going to be buying from another dealer trade-in is not an option. Is the trade in value the same as what a dealer would offer to buy the car?

What do you think I can reasonably expect to achieve by selling privately now? The prices on autotrader seems silly, a lot are still at list price which seems too much to ask.

Theres litterally hundreds on Autotrader, brand new with option starting at £18k, ie car supermarkets offering up to £2k+ off list price.

If a dealer is offeruing £20k trade the he'll probably just buy it off you for that price!

Ask the dealer if he want to buy it back, Its only 5 months old and you loss is very little in the real world.

smile.gif

This wont be popular, but I think you'll struggle at 22k, when you can buy a brand new one from select in the same spec for 20.5k (ish)

Your obviously not in a hurry, so theres no harm in see-ing what bites you get at 22k. I think reality will be sub 20k.

Hope you get your price.

When I was going to trade mine back in July the best price I got offered was 20k, that was when it was 3 months old and had 3000 miles on the clock, same list price as yours, this was from the dealer who supplied it. Personally I cant see anyone paying 22k and to be honest I think you would be lucky to get 20k. I know dealers are selling demos at close to list but they are not shifting them very quickly either.

If I had the choice of a brand new car or one just over a grand cheaper I would go for the brand new one.

Good luck anyway.