Wireless networking

shao_khan

OK, i have a small network downstairs, Wireless Router/firewall/adsl modem, 2xpc connected via ethernet and 2 via wireless.

I now want to run another upstairs. Can I get somethign like a wireless hub so that I can connect 2 more pcs and printer all via ethenet to the hub to communicate to the downstair router?

Any advice welcome, ta 169144-ok.gif

Can't you just throw a couple of wireless network cars in them and link them to the existing wireless point downstairs. If its 54g it should be fine for connectivity.

I have 5 wireless devices in the house with few problems. However there are now 7 other wireless networks around so I'm buying a hawking 7db omni directional aerial to boost the signal so that I don't start getting drowned out, as a one of the media servers is struggling upstairs at bit on occasions.

just get yourself a decent wirless router and make things simple , sell your current stuf and job done ! i like the new netgear wirless router/modem i think its abuot £60 then price in 2 pci cards at £20 each , are you shure you cant run cat5 around the house ?

[ QUOTE ]

I now want to run another upstairs. Can I get somethign like a wireless hub so that I can connect 2 more pcs and printer all via ethenet to the hub to communicate to the downstair router?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a wired network (with switch vs hub) and have joind a wireless access-point to it (Linksys WAP54G) this allows me to wirelessly join the doamin that is connected to the switch - so maybe this would do what you want ?

Cheers

Martin

I think it might be cheaper to just get a couple of new PCI cards than an extender / repeater from your scenario.

If you are worried about signal strenght get a hawking omni directional aerial or similar for £10-30 and it will help a lot with how far the signal will reach. 169144-ok.gif