front and rear fogs.

jason_s

have any of you guys used your fogs yet?

i tried mine and to my horror the main beams went out. the halogens take a while to get going again and at the speed i was going on the country road it was almost fatal. anyone know if this can be changed. also does this happen if you want the rear fogs on and not the front fogs. ie in very heavy rain on m-way ?

[ QUOTE ]

you should be able to have everything on.

[/ QUOTE ]

No you should not, because if it is foggy and you switch on your front Fog lamps you should not need to use high beam as it would blind you because the high wattage output and high level of the Main/high beam would bonce off the fog and blind you.

Read the high way code grin.gif

i know that mulkbear. but if you want your rear fogs on because of very poor motorway visibilty in heavy rain/spray then you front lights go off which is dangerous. and if your driving in the countryside its nice to light up more of the road especially on deserted roads where dear may jump out.

[ QUOTE ]

i know that mulkbear. but if you want your rear fogs on because of very poor motorway visibilty in heavy rain/spray then you front lights go off which is dangerous. and if your driving in the countryside its nice to light up more of the road especially on deserted roads where dear may jump out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you saying that your front dipped headlights go off when you put rear fogs on or that your main beams switch off when rear fogs go on ?

I don't think Mulkbear is saying that the main beams switch off when you put on the fogs but that you are in real danger of bouncing the Xenon mains back on yourself in fog IF you keep them on. The fogs specifically minimise such reflections.

I quite often use both front and/or rear fogs cos of sea mist on the higher Dorset hills. I also will admit to using just front fogs plus side lights on early grey mornings or dusk for the purpose of being seen rather than lighting up the neighbourhood with Xenons. Some say that's a chav thing....So what? They don't have a monopoly on using fogs do they?

[ QUOTE ]

i tried mine and to my horror the main beams went out. the halogens take a while to get going again and at the speed i was going on the country road it was almost fatal. anyone know if this can be changed. also does this happen if you want the rear fogs on and not the front fogs. ie in very heavy rain on m-way ?

[/ QUOTE ]

That happened to me.

The problem was I had the switch in Auto. When I pulled the switch to put the fogs on the switch moved to side lights position making it seem that the lights had just gone off. If you want to use fogs I think you need to move the switch all the way to the right and then pull the switch out to turn on the fogs.

An interseting thing is.

Lights On Main beam setting, fully right.

Go to full Beam.

Move the switch back to auto, lights go to dipped beam even though the column stack is still in the full beam position.

You have to move the stalk back to dipped and then to full to get the main beam on again.

My Mondeo allows me to put my high beam on with my Front fog which i use when i am traveling on unlit A and B roads at night just to light up most of the road. The first time i drove a (MK4) GT TDI at night and i tried to do this i thought there was a problem with the light switchs. I ask the master tech at work about it and he give me that answer in my first post

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That happened to me.

The problem was I had the switch in Auto. When I pulled the switch to put the fogs on the switch moved to side lights position making it seem that the lights had just gone off. If you want to use fogs I think you need to move the switch all the way to the right and then pull the switch out to turn on the fogs.

An interseting thing is.

Lights On Main beam setting, fully right.

Go to full Beam.

Move the switch back to auto, lights go to dipped beam even though the column stack is still in the full beam position.

You have to move the stalk back to dipped and then to full to get the main beam on again.

[/ QUOTE ]

That makes sense so you can't dazzle the guy in front when auto light switches on...neat

[ QUOTE ]

I also will admit to using just front fogs plus side lights on early grey mornings or dusk for the purpose of being seen rather than lighting up the neighbourhood with Xenons. Some say that's a chav thing....So what? They don't have a monopoly on using fogs do they?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but misuse of foglights (ie visibility is greater than 100m) is seen as grounds for a drugs stop search and a thirty quid fine! sekret.gif

More importantly front fogs dazzle other drivers for virtually no improvement in what you can see ahead of you.

Why would you have your fogs on but not your headlights? Why not just headlights if you want to be visible?

I have no problem being stopped for drugs search....I may wear baseball caps and dark shades (prescription lensed) but I'm totally 'clean' and don't even touch alcohol (since 15 years ago) - I have nothing to fear plus very expert LegalEagle backup if anyone starts getting 'funny' with me unjustifiably. What's the £30 fine? Statutory? Technically illegal use of fog lights?

Do fogs dazzle other people? They don't seem to dazzle me but I either wear dark shades or amber which reduces dazzle significantly. I better stop my fog light habits except in fog/sea mist. I was using fogs so not to dazzle, especially as hilly lumps raise the headlighting....Seems I'm wrong. Cheers.

Hi Jay....Not sleepy....Just saw TV prog about the making of one of my (many) favourite albums "Who's Next?" by The Who. Such energy!! Still a very very great album and sound. I saw them do it live many years ago....Then I could have been busted!!

Captain Sensible reminds me I have to drive to Oxford tomorrow so.... ZZZ.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I have no problem being stopped for drugs search....I may wear baseball caps and dark shades (prescription lensed) but I'm totally 'clean' and don't even touch alcohol (since 15 years ago) - I have nothing to fear plus very expert LegalEagle backup if anyone starts getting 'funny' with me unjustifiably.

[/ QUOTE ]

Apologies, didn't mean to imply anything, just FYI! Whilst sufficient grounds, not likely to be deemed necessary in your case! Although if you were wearing a baseball cap too.. grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

What's the £30 fine? Statutory? Technically illegal use of fog lights?

Do fogs dazzle other people? They don't seem to dazzle me but I either wear dark shades or amber which reduces dazzle significantly. I better stop my fog light habits except in fog/sea mist. I was using fogs so not to dazzle, especially as hilly lumps raise the headlighting....Seems I'm wrong. Cheers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Misuse of fogs is a minor (non-endorsable) offence along same lines as faulty brake light, headlight, etc. Unlikely to get you pulled on most days, but it can/does happen.

I certainly find them dazzling; fogs are designed to make you visible in extremely low visibility conditions, not for general use. I certainly never have problems with Xenons coming the other way, as long as they are correctly adjusted, as with standard halogen headlights.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Haven't I seen that man above coming out of soho girly xxx video shops? Only wasn't he wearing a large long mac as well?

[/ QUOTE ]

the obvious question is what were you doing there?? laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Was casualy passing by in my gti going from a to b (b not being the xxx video shop), nearly ran the fellow over. He was looking all shifty, trying not to make eye contact with passers bye. He was looking down at the ground as he walked so he wouldn't be noticed. Walked straight out into the road right infront of me, so I got a good look at his guilty looking face. grin.gif