Am I a shite driver?

fjfr

Well, In my 18months of driving, I've allways thought of myself as pretty good, but recently I've noticed I might not be anywhere near as good as I thought.. SAUER0421.GIF

Example 1:

Today, drove to Glasgow Prestwick airport & on the way back decided to take the scenic route. Had been raining very heavily, so was being a little cautious. Slowed to 30 for a village & picked up a middle aged woman in a mazda 6 & when the deresticted signs came, i dropped a gear and went for it.

Anyways, she fell back a bit, but I couldn't shake her at all... in an S3 suicide.gif

Example 2: Same kinda thing as eg. 1, but at night. oyracer e36M3 came up behind me & I couldn't even begin to get him to move off my tail. In the corners he was soo all over me...

So now I'm really worried that I'm rubbish at driving. But I dont know if its justi'm not a psycho, or if its just cos i didnt know the roads & they did.. anyways

SAUER0421.GIF

There is a big difference between driving quickly safely, and simply going as fast as the car will go.

Anyone can drive fast, you just do just that. Driving quickly and safely requires slowing down at appropriate times, and someone just driving fast therefore will be quicker.

So they may have been faster, but on the real roads thats not how you measure driver ability.

An E36 M3 should absolutely destroy an S3, down the straights or in the corners.....

As for the Mazda, well I think there is a pretty quick version of the 6 so it could have been that. Knowing the road makes a big difference though, I've been all over the back of a Ferrari 550 in my Fiesta Si on the road out of Sherbourne, he was booting it down the admittidly short straights but over the blind crests and through the turns was a lot slower since he didn't seem to know what way the road was going to go.

Really though you shouldn't worry about who's behind you, its the kind of attitude that results in accidents, just concentrate on being safe and enjoying yourself 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

If you can, get to a track day with an instructor - you'll learn more about cornering and limits than you ever will on the road.

[/ QUOTE ]

But being able to drive round a corner "on the limit" isn't the same as being a god driver, not on the road anyway, especially if you can't see round it!

What happens when you're fully commited on the limit at 60mph only to find a broken down bus or badly parked delivery truck? blush.gif

[ QUOTE ]

but over the blind crests and through the turns was a lot slower since he didn't seem to know what way the road was going to go.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or maybe didn't have X ray vision and wanted to travel at a speed where he could stop within his visibility limit? (Not far over a "blind crest"!)

As above. Fast driving does not necessarily equal good driving on public roads.

The other thing is that you have only been driving for 18 months. I've been driving for nearly 18 years and I'm still learning.

Driving talent and common sense (both of which you may well have) are one side of the coin, experience is the other.

Thanks guys... makes me feel a bit better.

Just when a old(ish) lady in a mazda has no probs keeping up with you...! Flush.gif

[ QUOTE ]

An E36 M3 should absolutely destroy an S3, down the straights or in the corners.....

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought an E36 had a 0-60 of like 6.6 & with RWD in the wet, i'd have thought it was a pretty even contest.

Its annoying that the only roads i 'know' are 30mph city roads! Never going to get to race on those...

Unless its running from the cops.. sekret.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

If you can, get to a track day with an instructor - you'll learn more about cornering and limits than you ever will on the road.

[/ QUOTE ]

But being able to drive round a corner "on the limit" isn't the same as being a god driver, not on the road anyway, especially if you can't see round it!

What happens when you're fully commited on the limit at 60mph only to find a broken down bus or badly parked delivery truck? blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Very true, sir, and highly pertinent.

It's just that every time I mention the IAM, audi smitten laughs at me. tongue.gif

(Where is he, anyway?! confused.gif )

I generally find you can drive quicker when chasing someone. - You get a better idea of the road ahead from their actions, and if your car handles reasonably well you'll know you can match their speed.

If you'd been driving above the limits of sense, or above the abilities of your car, there's a good chance you'd both have ended up in a ditch!

The pursuer is always the better position to be in unless you know the roads REALLY well and even then you can't compensate for everything happening on it.

Had the same problem with a Vetra GSi a couple of weeks back I though something was wrong with me and the car. Then came a clear section of dual carriageway from a roundabout and then I saw the difference.... BYE BYE the_finger.gif

He caught up again but wasn't trying to hassle....

[ QUOTE ]

Had the same problem with a Vetra GSi

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm so relieved to hear that! I seriously thought it was just me being rubbish... 169144-ok.gif

I havn't chased anyone for ages, only been chased.. so maybe that's why I'm feeling so poor.

(ooh & don't kill me, but my car is running 95RON.. UHOH7.GIF)