[Audi A3/S3] a3 starter motor

bulb

The starter motor on my 98 1.8T A3 is making a horrible screeching sound when i start the car. It still starts fine but i get some funny looks when in town so i guess i need to change it. Anyone know how easy it is to change or is it something best left to an expert?

yelrotflmao.gif Dude! I JUST spoke with my mechanic about this yesterday smashfreakB.gif He said it's easy enough to do yourself if you can handle a ratchet. The only "Issue" I had with it was that you have to pull the battery and I've been (irrationally) paranoid about disconnecting mine for some reason suicide.gifgrin.gif Anyway, I also asked about labor and he said it wouldn't take "Too" long but didn't have time to get us a quote (We just walked in). He also got us a price for €191 for the starter (German price)

He did mention that the "Grinding" sound could also be indicative of worn flywheel teeth. So it's something else to watch out for.

Hope some of that babble helped smashfreakB.gif169144-ok.gif

beerchug.gif

cheers for that 169144-ok.gif. Sounds like i could have a go myself. Don't think disconnecting the battery will do any harm a long as i have my stereo code(i'm not sure about that). smashfreakB.gif

If anyone can give me step by step instructions as to how to change the starter, it would be greatly appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...