Bought My New Baby Today

kent

Thank you guys for helping me choose my new baby from my previous thread "Which one to Buy?".

I eventualy sold my A6 2.5 TDI and bought Passat 1.8T Sport. What a decision it was. The pick up is amazing on this car. Thank you for you for all your help.

Any further tips will be greatly appreciated

* Is there any water leaks into the car ?

* Is ther any knocking nosie's when you go over small bumps in the road?

* Coolant gauge working ok ?

* Is the boot stiff to open ?

* Do you know about letting the turbo spin down after a good thrashing?

* Cam belt should be checked every 20k miles and replace every 120k miles or 8 year!

Any pic's of your new vehicle ? cool.gif

* No there are no leaks into the car

* There is no knocking noise when goint over bumps.

* The boot is slitly stiff. Is this something to worry about?

* How long do i need to let the turbo spin down? Could you also elaborate on what you mean by "good thrashing"?

* This vehicle has done just under 67K. I was undr the impression that timing belt needed to be changed after 70K. Should i then leave it until it has done 120K?

My digital camera is giving me some problems. I will post the car photos as soon as i have it sorted.

It is common practice to let a car that is fitted with a turbo to idle for around 5 seconds after a drive (where a turbo has been active around 4000rpm) as it prolongs the turbo live

(before anyone starts calling me say 5 seconds is not right it is "My opinton" )

If the boot is stiff spray some lube spray (WD40, Light oil etc etc) and open and shut the boot and few times.

I would get the Cam belt done at 80k with the major service also have the water pump checked at the same time. VW say the cam belt is due at 120k/8 years but IMO the cam belt sould be changed at 80k (to be on the save side)

Happy motoring 169144-ok.gif

sounds like a good buy....how much did you end up payin in the end?

re:turbo spinning down, yes you should always let the turbo cool down after using the car hard, or for thatmatter when ever ur on boost. there are a few options:

- you could invest in a turbo timer (but unless your going to up the power engine components its not worth it)

- when ever reachin your destination for the last 1-2 miles drive at a steady pace so that the turbo can cool, and then let the car idle for a few mins.

best of luck

welcome to TSN.

P

[ QUOTE ]

Thank you guys for helping me choose my new baby from my previous thread "Which one to Buy?".

I eventualy sold my A6 2.5 TDI and bought Passat 1.8T Sport. What a decision it was. The pick up is amazing on this car. Thank you for you for all your help.

Any further tips will be greatly appreciated

[/ QUOTE ]

Well done mate, glad you're happy. Enjoy that new car buzz and happy safe motoring to ya. 169144-ok.gif

Tip?

Take your time over speed bumps, mine used to bottom out on the nose soooo easily. Made for very slow progress down back streets. blush.gif

• 2 weeks later...

The reason the engine should not be shut down directly after or while boosting is because the oil supply will be stopped and the turbocharger will still be spinning at very high speed and no oil means fast wear on bushes or ball bearings.

As mentioned above a 5 - 10 seconds after boosting is sufficient to allow turbo speed to slow/stop.

If it has been running under hard load conditions i would give it a minute to allow temperature around turbo to reduce a bit too.. I have seen turbo's go cherry red under heavy loads on the rollers where i used to work.

This is rare on a stock boosting turbo but it can happen:

hot_turbo.jpg

[ QUOTE ]

The reason the engine should not be shut down directly after or while boosting is because the oil supply will be stopped and the turbocharger will still be spinning at very high speed and no oil means fast wear on bushes or ball bearings.

As mentioned above a 5 - 10 seconds after boosting is sufficient to allow turbo speed to slow/stop.

If it has been running under hard load conditions i would give it a minute to allow temperature around turbo to reduce a bit too.. I have seen turbo's go cherry red under heavy loads on the rollers where i used to work.

This is rare on a stock boosting turbo but it can happen:

hot_turbo.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

WOW, I didn't know turbo can get this hot under heavy loads. You learn something new every day. Thanks for that mate