BMW SatNav Software Upgrade

NewNiceMrMe

Right - this is cool.

My car was in the dealership today to have a new multichanger installed after the last one had a fit, and also to have the service interval software reset because it kept telling me I needed a service every 10 miles....

Ok, so they did all of that. Good boys.

However, when they dropped the car off tonight they also said they'd upgraded the SatNav software for me. They didn't have to do that. They did though.

I thought nothing of this until I went out a short while ago just to make sure everything was in order.

WOW! It has transformed the SatNav system!

It's BMW's latest generation system and it's a collosal improvement on the previous one.

The biggest and best change I have spotted is that in addition to the normal map views of "North orientated" and "Direction of travel orientated" you now have a view called "Perspective".

Perspective gives the most superb 3D view of any system I have ever seen.....it even has moving clouds on the horizon!!!! Superb!!!

Also, whereas previously you have the Map on the left (default) and the Information window on the right...you now have a mini bar down the left hand side too. In here are 6-7 additional icons. I've not had time to mess about with them all but one of them is really neat.

It's a crosshair. As in a gun sight. When you select it the map changes to have a 2D view with a crosshair in the middle and the iDrive controller lets you move it around the map and if you move it off screen the map scrolls with it....then when you press the iDrive controller down it marks that point on the map and you can re-route to it. It very very cool to see it do it!

I'm really impressed with this. I haven't rated the system too much previously but on first glance this has transformed it. On 3D view I could immediately relate to the surrounding area 500% (or thereabouts!) easier!

So, yet again, thumbs up to Victoria BMW - and his time to BMW themselves because they have clearly identified it as something that needed improving and boy have they done that! 169144-ok.gif

p.s. there is a slight downside...I've lost all the bloody locations I'd programmed in!!!!! frown.gif

Pics! we want pics!

Isn't it nice when you get a free upgrade! (ok so we spend fortunes on the cars in the first place, but you know what I mean).

It is all very well saying about TomTom et al, but I sold my TomTom 300 as it just was not the same as having it intergrated.

Ok, I went for a little run out in the car this afternoon and took a few pictures en route. They were taken on my mobile phone so they're a bit crap.

Of course they won't mean a great deal to you if you haven't seen the previous system, but it gives an idea of what it's like now anyway.

View at 250 yards

607186-iDrive1.JPG

View at 2.5 miles

607186-iDrive2.JPG

Crosshairs selected, system reverts to 2D view for selection.

607186-iDrive3.JPG

Split screen system hasn't changed, left for Lat/Long and Altitude

607186-iDrive4.JPG

I've also now discovered what the rest of the left sided options do. One of them will please Jeremy Clarkson - because with a single nudge and press....you can shut the SatNav Voice up. Of course you could already do this with a single button on the steering wheel in the first place if you program it do so, but JC seems so dim he didn't know that.

The others do things such as bring up Information on the area, call Traffic Information up, re-route depending on road type, select a new stop-off/destination etc - all stuff that you'd normally have to go back to the main menu for.

post-6775-13791433373_thumb.jpg

[ QUOTE ]

Chris, is it bluetooth integrated too? The standard graphics look superb 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, no, you've hit on a little gripe of mine - because BMW are crafty like that.

i-Drive has a full Communications suite on the main screen.....but to activate it you have to go for the optional Bluetooth Connectivity Kit or the BMW Assist pack - neither of which I did. The problem with the bluetooth was that to get your phone to charge you have to buy a cradle, and if you change your phone, you have to buy another cradle of course. Not to mention the fact that BMW aren't quick to pair phones up with their systems so if you get a new phone the chances are you'll wait bloody months before it can integrate properly.

The dealership actually told me they're no longer recommending the Bluetooth option and only fit it if the customer insists - because they're sick of compatibility issues and customers coming back unhappy.

Stupid really and they need to sort it out.

The issue with the Bluetooth though isn't really BMWs problem its the mobile phone developers. They have all got a slightly different way to pair and how they integrate etc is different.

BMW are not the only ones that are having problems with this. There are so many new phones out each quarter let along in the life of the car its tough for them to sort it quickly. If Nokia etc. all used the EXACTLY the same pairing and information transfer it wouldn't be a problem, but that istn't going to happen any time soon. confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Chris, is it bluetooth integrated too? The standard graphics look superb 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, no, you've hit on a little gripe of mine - because BMW are crafty like that.

i-Drive has a full Communications suite on the main screen.....but to activate it you have to go for the optional Bluetooth Connectivity Kit or the BMW Assist pack - neither of which I did. The problem with the bluetooth was that to get your phone to charge you have to buy a cradle, and if you change your phone, you have to buy another cradle of course. Not to mention the fact that BMW aren't quick to pair phones up with their systems so if you get a new phone the chances are you'll wait bloody months before it can integrate properly.

The dealership actually told me they're no longer recommending the Bluetooth option and only fit it if the customer insists - because they're sick of compatibility issues and customers coming back unhappy.

Stupid really and they need to sort it out.

[/ QUOTE ]

That does indeed surprise me as BMW normally plug the connectivity gaps well as seen on various pre newish 5 and 6 series cars. Are there any aftermarket connectors or remote dongles to make the connection possible? Perhaps that too might be a no go due to the necessity to fit a seperate charge/power source..... confused.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I have just sold my new 5 series which was loaded with satnav and bluetooth etc. Have to say, the blutooth was excellent (assuming compatible phone) but, like some, was irritated with the availability of cradles for charging. As for the satnav.....a bit hit and miss......very miss until they upgraded the software.

Why did I sell a car I loved? Well....I do plenty of miles but half the time it was sat in an airport car park for days or weeks (travel lots on business) and because the mileage killed the residual. Additionally, the cost of tyres (124 alloys with runflats)....and there is another story. After 2 sets of front tyres after several thousand miles each (serious wear on the internal edge) and 2 lots of geometry checks (all ok), found out dunlop had a faulty manufacture during certain date ranges.....but, most of all..

Engine rebuild at 32k (well, new head and a few pistons and bits and pieces after a butterfly valve was sucked through the inlet)....then a little later....new outlet manifold (cracked/faulty manufacture......then another new one due to the replaced one being faulty manufacture...then a few thousand later.....new turbo......then getting continual errors re window safety failure...was always in the bloody dealers. FYI the model was a 530d auto.

Maybe I just had a Friday car...or just unlucky. Loved the engine and gearbox combo though.

M