Maybach Review

Woppum

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The 65 is no doubt the faster car but it is by no means sporty in the same way the 430 is. For a 2 tonne car it has a great turn in but is just too soft, and the turbos are to urgent, meaning all or nothing power. The 430 is far more exploitable, it has a chaise to match the power and is a barrel of laughs to drive. Id choose the fezza in red with a hard top, racing seats, carbon brakes and an F1 box! 169144-ok.gif

• 7 years later...

Well it's been 7 long years and 165k miles and finally the time for my Dad to move on. A couple of weeks ago my brother in law, who is now based in the states, sold him a 1955 Bentley corniche hard top. He will hardly use it but is in first class condition and bring him back to his youth. The enjoyment he got from this, plus the fact the maybach is starting to run in to money has pushed him in to looking for something else. Today I went to jack Barclay with him to help him choose.

In summary the muslane feels very dated, is big but little space inside. The windows are also very small making the whole experience very dark and tight. Waiting list 4 months.

The phantom is ugly as hell and a brute in life. Forgot this. Inside its hard to get in as the seats are touched inside the suicide doors. You sort of have to tuck, step in and swivel. Dads 87 and its a bit tough for him. He also hates the image, not him at all. Inside the rear seats are higher than the front seats so you can see out the front window above the passenger. A nice touch but your head always feels very close to the ceiling. It's not that nice in there and feels rather dated now.

The lwb phantom same as above just with a bit more legroom and ****ing massive! Proportions look odd too.

The ghost. Lovely new tech, nicer inside than phantom, less presence and more handsome. Most handsome of the lot IMHO. Issue is too small on the inside.

The lwb - closest to perfect of all of them. Loads of room, great tech, handsome and good value as a bonus compared to the rest. Take price out of it really is the best car. Off tomorrow to spec and negotiate. 4 months wait.

That brings us back to the maybach. What it offers really is a marmite experience and its now out of date. His has over 165k miles in 7 years and its served its time very well. If there was a new ne of these I'm sure it would have been the one for him to go for. Fact of the matter is they sold less cars in all the years they made it than rolls now do in a year. It's reputed each car cost merc a loss of over £500k. Never the less to be in the back, as a tool nothing competed in its day. This ghost lwb is not the same but a very good car.

On a slightly less expensive level, my old man loves his S Classes. He has the latest one and really fancies the new one. The tech in these things is superb; in the back there are air con seats, full movement, personal a/c zones etc etc.

On a slightly less expensive level, my old man loves his S Classes. He has the latest one and really fancies the new one. The tech in these things is superb; in the back there are air con seats, full movement, personal a/c zones etc etc.

Agree with Andrew, surely the brand new model W222 S klasse is worth a look. Are they even on sale yet?

Agree with Andrew, surely the brand new model W222 S klasse is worth a look. Are they even on sale yet?

New s class is out end of the yr but only in short and lwb not extra long which is the yr after. Sat in the new flying spur today, it's nice but not the same caliber and not nearly as much room in the back. The lwb ghost is between the phantom and lwb phantom but not intimidating on the outside. Really a very nice car.