A8 brakes + lights

101sqn

I'm a relative new comer to the A8 world having bought a 96' 4.2 QS on impulse this summer. What a car....anyway won't bore you with the normal accolades, but could do with some help. I've noticed that after an averagely "energetic" drive the wings and body area over the front wheels particularly the ns are are cooking, not quite hot enough to fry an egg but enough to make me worried. I'm assuming that it must be the breaks, thus an upgrade or replacement is probably required. Also the headlights are poor...i've checked out the lens but nothing is obviously a miss.

Would appreciate any steers with regards to recommended parts. Won't be doing the work myself but will try to find a reputable garage in the local area.

ECLIPSe.gif

As far as brakes on my 4.2 QS I replaced them with EBC red stuff which helps a lot. They still get hot but they are much better at coping with the temperatures the 8 can generate.

As far as the headlight go I agree they arent great unless you have the later Xenon ones. You may want to try the 40% brighter bulbs but I just put up with it and eat more carrotts. laugh.gif

There's some question over the need for wash & levelling on aftermarket HID kits.

There are many examples of standards which a car is required to meet in order to obtain EU type approval or Single Vehicle Approval (relevant to Jap imports), but which are either not tested or not legislated against once the vehicle is in use. Two examples of this are:

Noise levels - Since Oct 1996 new cars must produce no more than 74dB(A) measured via a specific drive-by test procedure on a controlled surface. I can't find any evidence of a statutory noise limit for cars once they're in use.

Glass - New cars sold in the EU must have E-marked glass in headlights, windows, etc. However, I notice that my imported Nissan has no E-marks on its headlights. Despite this it has passed every MOT in the six years I have owned it.

I haven't had my aftermarket HIDs for long enough to have the car MOT'd with them on it, so I'm not yet certain it will pass. If it doesn't then I'll just reconnect the conventional bulbs and keep the HIDs for off-road use...