Difference between wax and polish.

Dave

The way i understand it is that wax should be used on newer cars as it protects the paintwork and that polish should be used on older cars as it helps to restore the paint work and sheen.

It is possible to 'polish' a wax finish to ultimate sheen? say using a rotary polisher, or should you use a polish with cutting ingredients?

Thanks

Dave....

The terms do geta little mixed, plus you can in theory buy products that polish and wax....

Polish...

Can be obtained in various grades of abrasivness. Used to prepare the paintwork and bring up to a glossy shine. A pure polish will "feed" the paint and provide shine, whilst in the correct grade may also remove surface scratches (swirls) and revive oxidised paint. Polish will not provide any protection for the paint, in fact a proper polishing process will strip away any protection.

Wax: A protective layer that provides protection for the paint aswell as often enhancing the depth of the gloss.

Should I polish aswell as wax? As you said on an older car the answer is self evident, you need to polish to revive the paintwork. On a new car a polish can be worthwhile too, but obviously the aim is onlyto increase the gloss rather than remove problems so a very mild polish can be used, the results will still be seen, it'll just be easier work.

Wax should be used on both. This may of course be a synthetic product (often called a sealant) or a pure carnuba wax.

Surface prep is the key here (as with everything), a new car is certainly not free from the need to prep. A new motor may have been sat at the dealer (or at the docks) and may have not had the best (and gentlest) clean to remove the wax coating. Using a paint cleaner and clay to prep the surface, then a mild polish, sealant and a couple of coats of wax will produce a deep, wet looking finish that will repel dirt and be wasy to keep looking in tip-top condition.

Well, Neil has covered the wax's. I'm a fan of P21-S,not the most durable but easy to use and looks great.

For a polish take a look at this chart... Polish grades, you need to be looking in the polish/Light Polish or finish cat. These products are all from the Pro or Semi pro ranges, but should still be straight forward to use.

I'd recommend Klasse AIO (all in one). It's a cleaner/polish and selant all in one grin.gif and gives great results. You can top this with Klasse SG which is almost the same product, but without the cleaners so it can be layered. Beware both products need to be put on in very thin coats and wiped off before they haze.

Top that with some P21 and it'll look spectacular 169144-ok.gif

I use a pure polish with hardley any cutting action, it is Meguiers Pure Polish from their professinal range, not so easy to buy over the counter but you can order direct from Meguiers. Really gives a deep shine, i then finish off with something called Blitz Wax, it is a 100% Carnuba wax and has a decent depth combined with a decent amount of durability. For my advice.... keep the prep, polish and wax all separate. There are products out there that do all 3, as in most cases you get what you pay for. Stick with a good mild cutting compound to prep (if needed), a pure polish and a good wax for sealing the polish in. You could also use a clay bar which works wonders and removes a lot of grit and grime from the paint before cutting or polishing. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

in “Meguiar’s-speak”, a pure polish (and they’re about the only one to use that term that I’m aware of) means it is just oil – no abrasive media at all

So I hope that helps regarding polish and waxes.

Pure Polish just means its a cheaper way of making the product as it has a lot of oil in it. Hence why you get smear marks with this.