Ideas for a small hi-fi/surround subwoofer

randellp

Hi All,

I've just bought a Teac DVD receiver, which although is not full 5.1 surround, has a subwoofer output. I'm quite interested in getting a reasonably priced, and most importantly, small sized, active sub for my already overcrowded living room.

I'm looking at something by Mission or Tannoy for around £150 max, but all the subs I have found are big, cubic foot boxes, which won't fit behind the sofa!

While I appreciate that the laws of physics say that big bass sound can only come out of big boxes, I am happy to compromise a bit on quality to suit my requirements.

Anyone had got any ideas?

Have a look at this page.. some of the Missions aren't as big as they look in the picture.

HiFix HiFi - Subwoofer page

I used them last week to get a new hifi and speakers etc. for my Dad. There are really cheap compared to the likes of Superfi and beat Richersounds on Cable. It all arrived the next day. Really impressed with them to be honest. 169144-ok.gif

I have a huge B&W 1000 sub.. it can't be hidden but heres the thing, its not. It sits between 2 chairs as a table. I have a couple of glasses on it.

When people come round they haven't got a clue its a sub it just looks like a coffee table. Even my other half doesn't have a problem with it. Put a movie on and it shakes and slams at all the right places and makes movies a joy to watch. I sometimes point out where the base is coming from and people are really suprised.

Maybe trying to hide it is the wrong way to go... super size it and use it as a feature. grin.gif