Mk4 V6 4Motion advice...

mike_true80

Ok, I have a whole host of questions, so brace yourselves…

I'm interested in trading up to a Mk4 V6 4Motion (cue abuse). Reasons? I currently have a Mk4 2.0 'GTi'. Enough said really. Seriously though, it's a great car in terms of build and design etc, it's just gutless and handles like a greased weeble. Hence my choice. I've taken a V6 for a drive and thought it was fantastic. Before you all start suggesting it, I don't really want a 1.8T GTi as I'd like to (subtly) stand apart from the hordes of salesmen in their black GTi's with black cloth interior and Montreal alloys (although I do like those). I've thought about the GT TDi (150bhp) as the increased economy and bucket load of torque are both highly attractive, but a) I'd still look like a salesman and b) my 2.0 has little enough traction through the front wheels once it gets mildly damp as it is, without another 100lbft vying for attention. I want the 4wd for the added traction, sure-footedness and general peace of mind (I drive to the Alps fairly regularly). Plus the independent rear makes it feel so much nicer. And before anyone even starts to say R32, I can't afford one.

So, I've explained my reasoning. As you can probably tell, I'm a pedantic bugger and as such my search criteria are quite specific. In an ideal world I'd like the following:

5 doors

Indigo Blue

Beige Recaros (heated)

Xenons

Cruise control

Multifunction wheel

6CD in-dash changer

Santa Monticas

Parking sensors

Plus some more niceties that I can't think of right now. Now obviously there a problem here - the chance of me finding a car with that exact spec at a decent mileage/age/price is pretty slim. So, how much of that can I easily retro fit?? Obviously the first three are pretty much must haves in the original car. My next most-like-to-have is xenons. Now I currently have xenons in my 2.0 (and love them) so my question is this: could I just swap those with standard units from a V6, so long as the V6 had the washer jets in the bumper? Plug and play style? Following on from this, are all the cars fitted with a 'standard' wiring loom, or is it dependant on the options at time of manufacture? i.e. will my car have the wiring for fogs, just disconnected? I've noticed my current seats have a small white plug near the seatbelt clip - is this for heated seats and just requires connecting?? Ditto with the likes of parking sensors etc. I know AMD can retrofit cruise. If the car I found had a three spoke steering wheel, how difficult would it be to fit a multifunction wheel in it's place? Are all the connections already there or is it a big garage job? Are all these sorts of parts available from my friendly local VAG dealer? Along with everyone else who's ever seen it I think the wood trim in the V6 is absolutely detestable so I intend to rip it out and replace the dash and door handles with standard black fare (I've found my current beige handles show up scratches far too easily) - has anyone done this and to what degree of success? It seems like it should be a fairly simple job…

Ok, essay over. Thank you in advance for any advice/abuse tongue.gif

Good lad!!!

See my post about my mate (GTi Anni v 2.8 4Motion)

I think the Cruise is retrofittable, Parking Sensors - not sure, but aftermarket stuff is available.....(might look like poo???)

Xenons - no (without major work and wedge), as the loom/relays/power transformers etc are needed.

Multifunction Wheel??? pass

The wood trim is a bit grim and out of place.

My mate is going to be taking a V6 for a spin (bet he can't!!!) and will probably buy it.

He likes the sound and traction of it!

What constitutes the "winter pack"? Am I right in thinking it's just headlight washers and heather seats? Isn't there a "weather pack" <u>and</u> a "winter pack"??

I tell you what would be really nice, if VW still gave you access to all the old spec and options sheets for discontinued models. Just enter the model and year and hey presto...

Off topic very slightly but the Mk4 V6 4mo is a great car, fast, subtle, and comfortable on a journey. I had one for a few months and regretted selling it. The Fuel economys not great, I used to get between 22 & 30, but its a small price to pay fora highly underrated car. Good luck in your search.

How about this one ??

2002 02 Reg VOLKSWAGEN Golf 2.8 V6 4MOTION

5 Doors, 31,000 miles, Metallic Indigo Blue with Recaro Leather Sports Interi . Climate Control, Alloy Wheels, Traction Control, CD Autochanger, Winter Pack, Heated Seats, 4 x Airbags, Multifunction Computer, Safety pack, Rear Head Rests, ABS, Auto Dimming Mirror and Rain Sensor, Remote C/locking, Alarm and Imobiliser, ESP, 3 x Rear Headrests, 4 x elec Windows, 8 Speaker Stereo, full VW Service History and Warranty, UK Supplied, HPI Clear : £11,990.

Chelsea Car CompanyDealer's Website

Tel: 020 77380594

[ QUOTE ]

Off topic very slightly but the Mk4 V6 4mo is a great car, fast, subtle, and comfortable on a journey. I had one for a few months and regretted selling it. The Fuel economys not great, I used to get between 22 & 30, but its a small price to pay fora highly underrated car. Good luck in your search.

[/ QUOTE ]

And.................., a low washer bottle sensor.

V6 4motion is a good sound car, good looks and good 4motion system.

IMO retro fitting extra's on VW is a big no no znaika.gif

1. VW have a habbit of running extra's though ECU's and switchs

2. Retro fitted part sometimes back-feed control units and other consumers making them go crazy

The interior is very easy swap over and the wood trim is horrid but the bushed silver trims look nice IMO, most V6 4motions i have seen have had Leather interior notworthy.gif which most of the time have heated seats.