A4 2.0 TDI vs A4 1.9 TDI

timcoupe

I've just picked up an A4 2.0 TDI courtesy car whilst my A4 1.9 TDI 130 is having some warranty work done and I cannot believe the difference between the 2 cars performance wise.

The 2.0 TDI pulls much better, only has 264 miles on the clock, but it appears to have *lots* more torque, even though on paper there is minimal difference. This is beginning to make me paranoid that there is something wrong with mine... frown.gif

Anybody else had a similar experience?

gIzzE,

The 2.0 felt much smoother and a fair bit quicker, certainly quick enough for me to notice a big difference. Pulling from 25 to 60 in 3rd is just fantastic...4th & 5th gears from low revs are great too...I couldn't really give it a thorough test as i was driving through rush hour..

the car is an '03 Avant

I agree that the service guys would tell me if there was a problem, however, it has gone in for warranty work ( door seal, leaky boot struts, replacement window operator buttons ), not any service work so they wouldn't really be hooking it up to any diagnostic machine....

I don't think an MAF sensor would fail on an 03 car unless you've got loads of miles on it, and as durrsaku said u would notice the loss of power.

It could all just be in your head, is it a saloon they have loaned you? with low fuel? and no rubbish in it? For starters if it is you're already saving lots of weight over your avant.

Another thing is, some TDI engines are well over the stock power, you can have over 150bhp from a standard 140bhp car..and if your car is not over the stock power (i.e 130bhp) the 20bhp would be the difference you're noticing. (not to mention the torque)

Strange crazy.gif

I had a 2.0 TDI for the day (at the weekend), and didn't find much difference in performance. In fact, I'd say mine (1.9 130) was quicker off the mark. The 2.0TDI was smoother and more refined in how it took off, but certainly struggled to notice a big difference in power.

[ QUOTE ]

Strange crazy.gif

I had a 2.0 TDI for the day (at the weekend), and didn't find much difference in performance. In fact, I'd say mine (1.9 130) was quicker off the mark. The 2.0TDI was smoother and more refined in how it took off, but certainly struggled to notice a big difference in power.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Took off" eh?

You don't change do you mate the_finger.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Another thing is, some TDI engines are well over the stock power, you can have over 150bhp from a standard 140bhp car..and if your car is not over the stock power (i.e 130bhp) the 20bhp would be the difference you're noticing. (not to mention the torque)

[/ QUOTE ]

I seem to remember reading one mag that was planning on tuning a 2.0TDI and dyno'd it stock first and found it was already pushing 168BHP.

So it would appear that there is more variability than you might expect.

One thing I have decided on next time is I am going for Quattro - I'm with MrMe in that I find the wheelspin pulling away in damp conditions is shocking in the 2WD 1.9 Tdi frown.gif

Whether it is the Dunlops or the torque delivery I don't know but Quattro is definitely the way forward for me 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

One thing I have decided on next time is I am going for Quattro - I'm with MrMe in that I find the wheelspin pulling away in damp conditions is shocking in the 2WD 1.9 Tdi frown.gif

Whether it is the Dunlops or the torque delivery I don't know but Quattro is definitely the way forward for me 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

What on earth do they make your roads with up there?! tongue.gif

I really push mine and only get wheel spin when there is ice about, or loose gravel etc.

shocked.gif

I have anything but NONO3.GIF

However if you're pulling out of a junction sharpish it is a battle to stop the wheels spinning. When you need to get the power down for the first couple of seconds, that is the exact time the wheels will slip IMO. If you do a gentle start in first and get it into second sharpish, you stand a better chance.

Trying to turn right out of a junction which is at the top of a hill (which you have to to get to where I live - P_G will know what I mean; top of Swalwell bank or Dunston bank) is a nightmare in wet and greasy conditions if you have to do it at anythng other than pedestrian pace.

Heavy right foot indeed slap.gifgrin.gif

This is the one area where I really miss rear wheel drive, pulling out onto a damp/wet busy roundabout, however coming off the roundabout used to be a nightmare in the wet with rear wheel drive, so I guess Quattro is the ideal.

Right, who wants to buy a nice A6 FWD avant?